Global Consultations Second track
Note: The documents on this page were presented and discussed at expert roundtables in 2001.
The papers were then finalised, updated and published in 2003 as "Refugee Protection in International Law: UNHCR's Global Consultations on International Protection", edited by E. Feller, V. Türk and F. Nicholson, UNHCR, Cambridge University Press.
- New Guidelines on International Protection arising out of the Global Consultations process
- Roundtables/topics/background papers (25 July 2001)
Cessation; exclusion (Lisbon)
- Summary Conclusions - Cessation of Refugee Status
- Summary Conclusions - Exclusion from Refugee Status, (30 May 2001)
- "Current Issues in Cessation of Protection Under Article 1C of the 1951 Refugee Convention and Article I.4 of the 1969 OAU Convention"
- "Current Issues in the Application of the Exclusion Clauses" (for the Lisbon Expert Roundtable, 3-4 May 2001)
- "The 'Ceased Circumstances' Provisions of the Cessation Clauses: Principles and UNHCR Practice, 1973-1999"
- List of Participants for Lisbon Expert Roundtable, 3-4 May 2001
Non-refoulement; supervisory responsibility (Cambridge)
- Summary Conclusions - Supervisory Responsibility
- Summary Conclusions - The Principle of Non-Refoulement
- "Supervising the 1951 Convention on the Status of Refugees: Article 35 and Beyond"
- "The Scope and Content of the Principle of Non-refoulement" (20 June 2001)
- List of Participants for the Cambridge Expert Roundtable
Gender-related persecution; particular social group; internal flight alternative (San Remo)
- Summary Conclusions - Internal Protection/Relocation/Flight Alternative
- Summary Conclusions - Gender-Related Persecution
- Summary Conclusions - Membership of a Particular Social Group
- "Gender-Related Persecution"
- "Internal Protection/Relocation/Flight Alternative as an Aspect of Refugee Status Determination"
- "Membership in a Particular Social Group: Analysis and Proposed Conclusions"
- UNHCR's Position on Relocating Internally (February 1999)
- List of Participants for San Remo Expert Roundtable
Illegal entry; family unity (Geneva)
- Summary Conclusions - Family Unity
- Summary Conclusions - Article 31 (Revised)
- "Family Unity and Refugee Protection"
- "Article 31 of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees: Non-penalization, Detention and Protection"
- Final List of Participants (9 November 2001)
- UNHCR Guidelines on Reunification of Refugee Families (July 1983)
- UNHCR Policy on Adoption of Refugee Children (August 1995)
- UNHCR Revised Guidelines on Detention of Asylum Seekers (February 1999)
- List of Participants for Geneva Expert Roundtable