National Activity Plan 2006: Korea, Republic of
- To enhance awareness about World Refugee Day, copies in Korean of UNHCR's booklet for children: entitled: "Refugee Children: Escape from persecution and war" will be added as a special annex to the June 2006 issue of the monthly kids magazine "WIZKIDs".
- A TV programme/round table on asylum in Korea with special guests (UNHCR representative, Director-General of the National Human Rights Commission and a Parliamentarian) will be hosted by Ariang TV within their weekly programme in English language named "In Focus". The programme lasts 1 hour and will be broadcast on 23 June 2006 from 8pm to 9 pm.
- Arirang TV, will broadcast the UNHCR-headquarters-produced TV spot - "Flowers" throughout the month of June, in English.
- A major Korean Broadcasting System called Education Broadcasting System (EBS) will release the UNHCR TV Spot "Flowers" with Korean subtitles throughout the month of June.
- The Seoul Sinmun (daily newspaper) will feature an article on 20 June written by UNHCR Seoul and one local NGO "Gong-Gam, the Public Interests Lawyers Group".
- Exhibitions and a street festival will take place in Seoul in coordination with NGOs such as Refugee PNam and Amnesty International.
- In celebration of World Refugee Day 2006, the Asia Human Rights Solidarity, a local NGO based in Busan city will organize a photo exhibition on Afghan refugees from 19-23 June in Busan.
- Kim's Eye Hospital will offer an annual medical check-up week providing services for eye and internal medical care to Convention Refugees and Humanitarian Status holders. Venue: Kim's Eye Hospital, Kyunyang Medical School Hospital (Seoul) A photo exhibition will also take place at the lobby of Kim's Eye Hospital.
- Public awareness will be advanced through promotion material posted on the UNHCR Korean website.
Related news and stories
South Korea receives first refugees in pilot programme
Syrian car mechanic struggles to ply his trade in the safe haven of Seoul
South Korean charity opens a new world to two refugee women
Milestone in Asia as Ethiopian man is granted South Korean citizenship
UNHCR protection chief applauds Japan and South Korea, asks them to be better Asian role models