World Refugee Day 2007 National Activities: Argentina
World Refugee Day, 20 June 2007
UNHCR organized a tree-planting ceremony in Buenos Aires Park, which was attended by refugees, government officials, humanitarian aid workers, UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador Osvaldo Laport and popular Argentine singer Luciano Pereyra.
A multimedia press campaign called "No Frontiers" was launched. It draws parallels between the universality of sports, music, art and fashion on the one hand, and aid to refugees on the other. Radio spots featured Laport. WRD banners were displayed at a concert by Argentine singer Vicentico as well as in theatres and museums all around Buenos Aires.
Laport arranged for a mention of WRD in "Son de Fierro," his popular soap opera broadcast in Argentina and Uruguay.
Related stories by:
- Refugees open up to Goodwill Ambassador Laport in Ecuador
- Q&A: Soap star Laport raises awareness about UNHCR in Latin America
- Angelina Jolie voices support for Myanmar refugees in northern Thailand camps
- Spanish artists help fight malnutrition among African refugees
- Q&A: Egyptian actor looks back on work as Goodwill Ambassador
- Southern Latin America opens its arms to asylum-seekers
- Q&A: Refugees have a friend in Argentina's top diplomat
- Argentina and other South American countries opening their doors to refugees
- Argentina offers care and support to refugee women victims of violence
- Refugees urge Argentine Congress to implement draft refugee law
UNHCR country pages
Learn about our loyal ambassadors.