World Refugee Day 2007 National Activities: Argentina
World Refugee Day, 20 June 2007
UNHCR organized a tree-planting ceremony in Buenos Aires Park, which was attended by refugees, government officials, humanitarian aid workers, UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador Osvaldo Laport and popular Argentine singer Luciano Pereyra.
A multimedia press campaign called "No Frontiers" was launched. It draws parallels between the universality of sports, music, art and fashion on the one hand, and aid to refugees on the other. Radio spots featured Laport. WRD banners were displayed at a concert by Argentine singer Vicentico as well as in theatres and museums all around Buenos Aires.
Laport arranged for a mention of WRD in "Son de Fierro," his popular soap opera broadcast in Argentina and Uruguay.
Related stories by:
- UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador Khaled Hosseini struck by the tragedy of Syria's youth
- UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie's school changes lives in Afghanistan
- UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie wins award for humanitarian work
- Refugees open up to Goodwill Ambassador Laport in Ecuador
- Q&A: Soap star Laport raises awareness about UNHCR in Latin America
- Southern Latin America opens its arms to asylum-seekers
- Q&A: Refugees have a friend in Argentina's top diplomat
- Argentina and other South American countries opening their doors to refugees
- Argentina offers care and support to refugee women victims of violence
- Refugees urge Argentine Congress to implement draft refugee law
UNHCR country pages
Learn about our loyal ambassadors.
Barbara Hendricks marks 25 years with UNHCR
Acclaimed soprano Barbara Hendricks has spent a quarter-of-a-century helping UNHCR to spread awareness about refugees and lobbying on their behalf with politicians and governments. She was named a UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador in 1987 and, in 2002, was appointed Honorary Lifetime Goodwill Ambassador in recognition of her long service for the refugee agency.
In 2012, UNHCR celebrates this landmark 25th anniversary with a ceremony in the Geneva headquarters of the refugee agency. In her years with UNHCR, Hendricks has performed fund-raising concerts, met policymakers and government leaders in Europe, Asia and Africa and been on more than a dozen visits to the field, meeting the forcibly displaced around the world. UNHCR salutes its longest serving Goodwill Ambassador.