World Refugee Day 2007 National Activities: Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
World Refugee Day, 20 June 2007
A football tournament between refugees and UNHCR staff was held in Skopje's Suto Orizari municipality, home to ethnic Roma and most of the asylum seekers and refugees in the country. Acclaimed Roma singer Esma Redzepova opened the tournament.
Refugee children drew and wrote peace messages. An exhibition of photographs depicting the life of Roma people was held in Suto Orizari. Five Roma poets, joined by refugees, read poetry. This was followed by musical performances.
- UNHCR assists refugees at Greece-FYR Macedonia border, where calm is returning
- UNHCR voices concern about developments at border of FYR Macedonia and Greece
- FYR Macedonian woman dubbed 'Refugees' Angel' by those on the 'Balkan route'
- One Macedonian town's waste is refugees' livelihood
- Roma refugees see music as their route to self-reliance