World Refugee Day 2007 National Activities: Azerbaijan
World Refugee Day, 20 June 2007
UNHCR organized "play days" in the Baku and Bilasuvar regions on 20 June within the framework of the ninemillion.org campaign. They involved 10 communities and 250 children.
The Azerbaijan State Philharmonic gave a concert on 20 June. An exhibition of paintings by internally displaced and refugee children was exhibited at the same time.
Japanese optometrist and 2006 Nansen Refugee Award Akio Kanai arrived in the country on the eve of WRD to provide eye tests and spectacles to approximately 4,000 internally displaced people. Dr. Kanai and his team from Fuji Optical were guests of honour at a WRD event on 20 June.
- Refugees in Armenia get wired for work
- Azerbaijan closes last of emergency camps
- Nansen Award winner Kanai uses prize to help in Armenia and Azerbaijan
- My door is always open, says refugee in Armenia
- Fuji Optical puts focus on needy people in Azerbaijan
UNHCR country pages
Published October 2009