World Refugee Day 2007 National Activities: Korea, Republic of
World Refugee Day, 20 June 2007
The largest event for WRD was a week-long photography exhibition on the theme of ninemillion.org and refugee children in Seoul City Hall Plaza. It featured 40 large panels of photographs, some of which had been taken by Korean journalists during a trip to Africa. The exhibition was seen by at least 100,000 people.
UNHCR, the National Human Rights Commission of Korea and a study group on parliamentary diplomacy – chaired by MP Yoo Jay Kun – held a half-day workshop on refugee protection on 20 June.
The Korean-language version of Goodwill Ambassador Angelina Jolie's book, Notes from my Travels, was published on 20 June.
To mark WRD, Kim's Eye Hospital in Seoul offered free annual check-ups to refugees.
- Syrian car mechanic struggles to ply his trade in the safe haven of Seoul
- South Korean charity opens a new world to two refugee women
- Milestone in Asia as Ethiopian man is granted South Korean citizenship
- UNHCR protection chief applauds Japan and South Korea, asks them to be better Asian role models
- South Korean cartoon hero becomes UNHCR Goodwill Envoy