World Refugee Day 2007 National Activities: Venezuela
World Refugee Day, 20 June 2007
International films on refugees and displaced people were screened for invited guests in public squares around Caracas between 10-30 June. The films came from countries such as Spain, Colombia, Mexico, Panama and Iran.
Paintings, sculptures and handicrafts made by refugees and asylum seekers were exhibited for one week in a municipal building in Caracas.
Students at four universities in the state of Zulia organized forums on refugee protection and asylum seeking in Venezuela. The UN refugee agency participated.
In the state of Apure, UNHCR led a debate following the screening of two films, "Turtles can fly" and "Invisibles." The debate focused on the consequences of conflict in neighbouring Colombia and elsewhere in the world, with a focus on the children's perspective.
- Hitting the right notes of hope and integration for refugees in Venezuela
- Young Colombian refugees open up to hospital clowns
- UNHCR income-generating project gives hope to scores in Colombian town
- Young Colombian gets first refugee ID card in Venezuelan border state
- Micro-credit scheme helps Colombian refugees rebuild lives in Venezuela