Call for Proposals to conduct monitoring of reception conditions in detention
Main areas of work:
UNHCR NO in the Czech Republic is looking for a service provider in these project priority areas:
- monitoring of reception conditions provided to asylum-seekers in detention in the Czech Republic
- promoting effective access of detainees to asylum procedure in the Czech Republic
- providing legal assistance and information to detainees in the Czech Republic
- conducting strategic litigation in selected cases with potential systemic implication.
Duration of contract: June 1 – December 31, 2017
Deadline: May 12, 2017
The Contractor undertakes regular monitoring visits to two detention facilities, initially once a month to each, conducts interviews with detainees and provides legal counselling. During and following the monitoring visits, the Contractor should strive to:
- monitor living conditions and protection needs of detainees, and draw UNHCR’s attention to deficiencies observed during monitoring
- monitor the conduct of the Aliens Police during the first contact with asylum-seekers and expulsion or removal procedures as well as the actual procedure, protocol and methods of work being used by the Aliens Police to facilitate access to asylum procedure in detention, in particular practical aspects of declaration of the intention to apply for international protection made by detainees
- monitor cases to be returned to/from another EU Member State according to Dublin Regulation and provide analysis of the Dublin caseload
- look into the implementation of bilateral and EU readmission agreements with a view of ascertaining that safeguards are in place regarding detainees in need of international protection.
- pay special attention to vulnerable groups of detainees in need of international protection and those undergoing implementation of the readmission procedure
- identify detainees in need of international protection who may be or have been affected by measures that could amount to refoulement and provide legal assistance to such persons
- communicate without delay to the UNHCR all instances of refoulement and risk thereof and continue to keep the UNHCR informed about any development throughout the incident
- provide representation in selected cases having potential systematic implication (strategic litigation)
- collect statistical data: number of detained persons, readmitted cases, cases referred to asylum procedure, children detained, alternatives to detention applied, length of detention etc.
- keep records on number of interventions and legal remedies used in individual cases
- regularly check availability and dissemination of information leaflets informing detainees in need of international protection on their legal status, their rights and obligations.
Expected Result: The main goal of the project is to ensure that all detainees in need of international protection have access to asylum procedure and that reception conditions in detention are in compliance with international standards.
- Experience in conducting projects of similar nature (conducting monitoring and/or legal counselling on issues concerning migration and refugees).
- Strong knowledge of legal regulations concerning migration and refugee issues in the Czech Republic.
- Strong communication and reporting skills in Czech and English.
- Established partnerships with state authorities in the field of protection of asylum seekers and holders of international protection are welcomed.
Supervision: The project will be implemented under the direct supervision and in a close cooperation with the UNHCR NO in the Czech Republic.