Careers and Internships
Internships with UNHCR Ireland are advertised twice yearly for both the External Relations Unit and the Protection Unit. Their duration is normally six months, with most interns expected to work on a project which will benefit both them and UNHCR in fields such as refugee protection (legal), international relations, administration and public affairs.
Applications for internships with UNHCR Ireland can be submitted directly to the office on foot of an advertisement.
UNHCR Ireland is currently recruiting for the position of Assistant Protection Officer.
Under the supervision of the Head of Office and in close co-operation with other members of the team, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Promote international law and standards relevant to the protection of refugees, asylum seekers and stateless persons and foster their consistent interpretation and application
- Advise on developments in national jurisprudence and legislation
- Facilitate the participation of persons of concern in the work of the Office
- Design and deliver training, advice and other supports to the national authorities and key stakeholders
- Oversee and manage individual cases including those relating to SGBV and child protection
- Promote and contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness
- Maintain and develop networks with key partners in Ireland and with protection colleagues under the UNHCR Regional Representation for Western Europe
- Stay abreast of relevant political, social, economic and cultural developments
- Undertake international travel on mission as required
- Perform other duties as required
For more information on the position and how to apply, please go to: