From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
Up to 25,000 Syrian refugees left the Kurdistan region of Iraq last year and headed home to their war-ravaged country, worn down by years of hardship in exile.
UNHCR and AMIDEAST centre provides a bridge linking vulnerable people in Yemen to the humanitarian community.
Of particular concern are living conditions of unaccompanied and separated children who arrive at the informal camps in northern France.
At the London Syria Conference, donor and host countries pledge record support and opportunities for Syrians both inside the country and living as refugees.
Threatened by deadly street gangs or "maras," entire families from all walks of life are fleeing El Salvador to seek protection in neighbouring countries.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- UNHCR concerned about the conditions of refugees and migrants in Calais and Dunkerque, in particular children
- ADVISORY: High Commissioner Grandi in Ethiopia for 26th AU Summit
- Fighting in eastern DRC forces tens of thousands to flee homes
- UNHCR, IOM and partners in $550m appeal for humanitarian operations for Europe's refugee and migrant situation
- UNHCR struggles to help tens of thousands newly displaced by Boko Haram in Niger
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- UNHCR calls for nominations of 'unsung heroes' for Nansen Refugee Award 2016
- OECD and UNHCR call for scaling up integration policies in favour of refugees
- UNHCR alarmed at the plight of refugees and migrants at Bulgaria borders
- UNHCR and partners seek over US$500mill for Nigeria and CAR refugee crises
- Report warns refugee women on the move in Europe are at risk of sexual and gender-based violence