From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
The report collates information through interviews, and from media reports, partners and governments. It highlights the abuses people are facing on their journeys.
UNHCR appreciates support of donors for its Iraq operation, particularly Saudi Arabia which has provided US$88.3 million to the refugee agency.
Tamam gave birth by Caesarean section at a hospital in the Syrian city of Qamishli. She was seven months pregnant, but she and the babies are in good health.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- Iraq crisis aid operation pushes forward, many displaced need accommodation
- UNHCR: Over 20,000 people risked lives in Indian Ocean in first half of 2014
- As South Sudan crisis grows, Ethiopia becomes Africa's biggest refugee-hosting country
- UNHCR in major new humanitarian aid push into northern Iraq
- Massive influx of people into Dohuk as Iraq's displacement crisis deepens
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- UNHCR aid operation starts as first Boeing 747 touches down in Erbil, Iraq
- Yazidis stream into Syria from Mount Sinjar, UNHCR steps up aid
- UNHCR urges Sri Lanka to stop deporting asylum-seekers to Pakistan
- UNHCR applauds Suriname for ensuring gender equality in nationality laws
- UNHCR: Urgent European action needed to stop rising refugee and migrant deaths at sea