From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
UNHCR focuses its efforts on targeted prevention and preparedness activities for refugees in Liberia and other countries affected by the deadly Ebola virus.
Most of his Burundian refugee neighbours thought Noah Ilambona had been in the sun too long when he unveiled plans to start a fish farm in Kakuma camp.
After three years in Romania, an Iranian refugee finds his adopted country to be a welcoming place that may allow him to accomplish his dream of becoming a doctor.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- 2014 becomes the deadliest year at sea off Yemen
- On-going violence in Nigeria continues to displace people to neighbouring countries
- Tanzania begins granting citizenship to over 162,000 former Burundian refugees, ending more than 40 years of exile
- UNHCR concerned over ending of rescue operation in the Mediterranean
- Iraq's displacement crisis deepens as civilians flee latest ISIS offensive
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- UN Secretary General's Humanitarian Envoy and UN High Commissioner for Refugees praise Sudan for generously welcoming South Sudanese refugees
- "Investing in the Future" conference opens in Sharjah, UAE: Every minute another child is forced to flee in the Arab World
- On eve of Lampedusa disaster anniversary, UNHCR warns that irregular Mediterranean crossings becoming more deadly
- UNHCR Executive Committee renews commitment to Africa's refugees
- With forced displacement at a record high, UN High Commissioner for Refugees appeals for rethink of global humanitarian financing