From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
In the straight, serried ranks of tents the heat is scarcely less inside than outside.
In all, 84,166 displaced people have received non-food aid since the start of April, about 70 percent of this coming directly from UNHCR and the rest from partners.
The UN refugee agency says it is "deeply concerned" about a set of proposals put forward this week to the Hungarian parliament for debate
UN High Commissioner for Refugees says current humanitarian system is "broke but not broken."
To ensure the voices of internally displaced people on voluntary return and other long-term solutions be heard, UNHCR commissioned an Intentions Survey among IDPs in Georgia.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- Despite limited access, UNHCR delivers shelter and core relief items to 56,000 people in eight governorates in May and June
- Numbers of internally displaced in Libya double since September
- Thousands of refugees continue to flee Burundi
- As Burundi gears up for elections, more people are fleeing
- UNHCR urges further EU action on refugees
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- UNHCR welcomes ASEAN proposals to respond to boat crisis in South-East Asia
- Joint Statement by UNHCR, OHCHR, IOM, the SRSG for Migration and Development, and UNODC
- Mediterranean Crisis 2015 at six months: refugee and migrant numbers highest on record
- UN agencies and partners say funding shortage leaves Syrian refugees and host nations without vital support
- UNHCR Chief arrives in Islamabad on a three-day visit