From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
During the past week the number of displaced people in the town of Heet and surrounding areas has increased by some 25,000-30,000 people.
UNHCR is moving 9,000 refugees from a crowded transit centre to the new Mugombwa camp, Rwanda's fifth, built on government-allocated land.
UNHCR puts a priority on spreading awareness about sexual and gender-based violence and at preventing a scourge that affects millions around the world.
António Guterres pledges progress on gender equality and female empowerment while noting that forced displacement exacerbates the risks that women and girls face.
The health and nutrition status of refugees is at risk and the problem is not just food shortages but the safe passage of other humanitarian relief supplies too.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- Displacement of people continues to rise in Anbar, Iraq
- UNHCR highlights urgency of need for safe passage of food deliveries in South Sudan
- UNHCR appeals for accelerated help for refugees fleeing CAR, South Sudan
- Pakistan begins issuing new cards to 1.6 million Afghan refugees
- UNHCR says over 15000 CAR civilians facing acute risk, better security urgently needed
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie visits Lebanon, urges aid for Syria's children, expresses gratitude to Lebanon, and welcomes new UN resolution on Syria
- Public urged to voice their outrage and demand action to prevent a lost generation in Syria
- UN refugee agency chief calls on Latin America to champion protection and solutions for displaced populations
- UNHCR Chief Guterres 'Deeply Distressed' by Situation in CAR
- Statement by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, António Guterres on SARC/ UN Homs Evacuation and Humanitarian Aid Delivery Effort