From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
António Guterres expressed his deep appreciation for the Pope's work in bringing public attention to refugees and internally displaced people.
UNHCR staff in Bangui report the situation as very tense on Friday morning. Gunfire could be heard in the city's 8th District, preventing residents from leaving their homes.
High Commissioner Guterres says the death of such an outstanding champion of peace is a profound loss and should give people pause for thought.
The UN refugee agency is trying to help the Lyuli regain an identity as part of a wider project in Kyrgyzstan to assist thousands of people whose nationality is undetermined.
More than 80 per cent of the more than 2.2 million Syrian refugees were women and children – a particularly vulnerable population facing serious protection risks.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- Renewed violence in CAR causes more people to flee into DRCongo
- UNHCR launches emergency operation to improve conditions for refugees and asylum seekers in Bulgaria
- Kenya: Repatriation process to Somalia starting, must be voluntary
- Men, women and children suffering from harsh physical conditions and legal shortcomings at Pacific Island asylum centres: UNHCR reports
- Typhoon Haiyan: UNHCR helps government decongest evacuation centres
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- One month on, typhoon Haiyan survivors start to return home
- Statement by UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres on the death of Nelson Mandela
- UNHCR chief meets Pope Francis, echoes call for more compassion for refugees and others on the move
- UNHCR urges Dominican Republic to restore nationality
- UNHCR Airlifts urgently needed winter supplies to Northern Iraq