From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
Bangkok meeting also endorses a Regional Action Framework to improve systems to register and document births, deaths and other vital events.
The attack on the northern Nigerian town of Damassak also left 50 people dead. The town lies just a few kilometres from the border with Niger's Diffa region.
Ousmane cannot tell what nationality he has. Born in Côte d'Ivoire to a Burkinabé mother, his birth was never registered and this left him vulnerable and exploitable.
Doaa fled Syria in the hope of finding safety and a better future; she ended up desperately fighting for her life in the Mediterranean Sea and losing her fiancé.
UNHCR chief António Guterres stresses need to advocate with governments for child marriage to be prohibited by law, and for this to be effectively enforced.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- Latin America and Caribbean to discuss asylum, displacement and statelessness challenges of the coming decade
- Nigeria: New Boko Haram attacks force thousands to flee to Niger
- UNHCR welcomes declaration of civil registration for all by Asia-Pacific countries
- UNHCR is alarmed about ignored humanitarian catastrophe in DRC's Katanga province
- UNHCR starts relocation of 15,000 stranded South Sudanese refugees in Ethiopia
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- UNHCR launches new airlift to ensure Iraqi displaced are warm this winter
- UN Refugee Agency calls on States to end the immigration detention of children on the 25th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Continuing violence by Boko Haram in Nigeria forces 13,000 people to flee into Cameroon
- Education Above All Launches Multi-Sector Education Project in Kenyan Refugee Camp
- UNHCR welcomes new General Recommendation on refugee and stateless women