From the Field
UNHCR has a global network of information officers and others who report daily on the agency's varied activities on behalf of uprooted people around the world. This information is released locally to media and others, or sent to Geneva headquarters for editing before it is released in the form of press releases, web stories or by the UNHCR spokesperson at twice-weekly briefings at the Palais des Nations, the UN's European headquarters. UNHCR's presence in more than 125 countries, including in some of the most remote and difficult places on Earth, gives it access to news and information that are not available from anyone else. Our global communications network strives to provide timely, accurate and newsworthy information on all of the UNHCR's activities to generate awareness of and support for the refugee cause. First-hand reports, feature stories and graphics from distant field operations as well as from Geneva headquarters and world capitals are posted daily on the UNHCR website, making it an authoritative source on some of the biggest news events of the day.
Fighting in Pakistan's North Waziristan area since June has sent some 13,000 families into Afghanistan, where they have found tea and comfort – and a lot more.
Longtime sports advocate Jacques Rogge, on a visit to UNHCR headquarters, says sustained sports programmes can help build a better world for refugee youth.
Left on their own by the war in South Sudan, two young girls cling to each other and dream of their lost life – home, parents and hopscotch with their friends.
As more Africans and Syrians die trying to reach Europe, UNHCR calls for stepped-up rescue operations and more legal options for them to get there.
Kosovo refugee Tefik Berisa and his family are proof that hard work and support from host governments and donors can lead to durable solutions in Montenegro.
Subscribe to our mailing list for media professionals to receive Press Releases and Briefing Notes
Refugee information presented in twice-weekly press briefings in Geneva.
- UNHCR renews call on donors to support Central African Republic refugees
- UNHCR calls for massive boost in funding as worsening situation in South Sudan fuels regional refugee crisis
- UNHCR urges Europe to do more for Syrian refugees
- Latest boat tragedy off Libya adds to rising death toll in Mediterranean
- UNHCR deplores deportation of Laotian refugee from Thailand
Current and archived UNHCR press releases.
- UNHCR applauds Suriname for ensuring gender equality in nationality laws
- UNHCR: Urgent European action needed to stop rising refugee and migrant deaths at sea
- 145,000 Syrian refugee women fight for survival as they head families alone.
- Returns to Sri Lanka of individuals intercepted at sea
- UNHCR calls for end to detention of asylum-seekers and refugees