International Professional Staff
Recruitment of International Professional Staff
Established in December 1950, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern. In more than five decades, UNHCR has helped about 50 million people restart their lives.
UNHCR is an international humanitarian organisation operating in approximately 126 countries with 388 offices worldwide. Some 6,600 staff are directly employed with the Organisation which has an annual budget of approximately $3 billion and annual expenditure nearing $2 billion.
International Professional Officers generally serve abroad in positions that require a high level of functional and managerial skills. UNHCR does its best to fill vacant international professional positions internally. If no suitable internal candidate is identified, the organization reverts to external recruitment. Public advertisements may vary from a junior entry-level to a high managerial position. Different functional profiles have their specific requirements, but generally speaking candidates will need to have the following minimum qualifications:
- A university degree (Bachelors or Masters) in a field relevant to the functions in the job description;
- Minimum three years of international working experience in the relevant functional area;
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish). Additional languages are an asset;
- Ability to work well in a multicultural team;
- Willingness to serve in different countries every few years.
Information relating to entitlements and benefits can be found in the attached recruitment brochure.