Capacity Building Initiative
Established in December 1950, UNHCR is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees, internally displaced people and other populations of concern. In more than six decades, UNHCR has helped tens of millions of people restart their lives. In mid-2014, the agency was dealing with 46.3 million people of concern and operating in more than 120 countries.
The Capacity Building Initiative (CBI) is a recruitment and conversion programme geared to attract professionals with expertise and working experience in functional areas where UNHCR wants to enhance its internal capacity to meet the operational requirements.
Selected candidates will join the programme at levels P3, P4, or P5, depending on their experience and academic achievement, and will be assigned to their posts after having completed an induction and orientation program. The CBI is open to both external and internal applicants.
Applicants will need to fulfil the following minimum requirements:
- Advanced university degree and/or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and relevant work experience in in the respective functional area of specialization or expertise according to the vacancy announcement;
- Excellent knowledge of English and a second language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish). For very few exceptional positions advertised in the CBI April 2015 exercise, the second UN language is desirable;
- Ability to work in a multicultural team;
- Willingness to serve in conflict zones, field locations, hardship locations;
- Willingness to rotate every few years.
Eligible candidates will go through a comprehensive assessment process, including psychometric and language proficiency tests.
Candidates who are selected will be deployed to the field after having completed a comprehensive orientation programme.
Currently, there are no vacancies under the CBI Programme.
For regular updates on vacancy announcements and recruitment process, please follow us on: