2018 DAFI Scholarship for refugees in Ukraine
UNHCR Ukraine invites young refugees to submit their applications to participate in DAFI scholarship program (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative).
Gathering of DAFI Scholarship students in Ukraine
In its mandate to provide protection and find solutions for refugees, UNHCR promotes and supports access to education for refugees, including higher education to empower young refugees to positively impact their communities. UNHCR’s higher education scholarship programme funded by the German Government, best known by its acronym DAFI (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative), plays an integral role in enabling refugees worldwide to access higher education. Since its inception in 1992, the DAFI programme has grown considerably, enabling more than 13,500 refugee students to study at universities and colleges in 50 countries of asylum.
UNHCR Ukraine invites young refugees to submit their applications to participate in DAFI scholarship program funded by the German government, which provides support with tuition fees, study materials and living allowances for a period of up to four years.
In the past, UNHCR in Ukraine has already chosen two candidates, both are attending universities in Ukraine studying computer engineering and dentistry.
If you are interested in participating, please see the criteria and instructions below:
All candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Be recognized as refugee or a person in need of complementary protection by the Ukrainian government;
- Age of 28 or younger;
- Be a 1st year student at one of the universities accredited by the government of Ukraine;
- Full secondary education;
- Excellent academic performance;
- Has not benefitted from a previous academic scholarship for university studies;
- Be in need of financial support to continue her/his education;
- Strong motivation to contribute to her/his community;
- Interest in professional development;
Those who meet the abovementioned criteria should submit the following documents:
- Completed and signed application form, available in English and Russian languages Application Form for Educational Assistance in English , Application Form for Educational Assistance in Russian and from the implementing partners below;
- Valid refugee certificate or certificate of complementary protection;
- Proof of enrolment into the colleagues/university (Admission Letter/ Contract / Bonafides Letter);
- Matriculation certificate and academic achievements record from the school;
- Academic achievements record from the latest examination in the college/university (if any);
- Motivation letter on how you intend to use the knowledge and skills obtained during the studies.
Once compiled, the whole package is to be submitted to UNHCR email [email protected] with the subject “2018 DAFI Application form your family name” by 12 August 2018. Late applications will not be considered.
You can contact UNHCR implementing partners for assistance in filling out the application forms and other related issues in the following regions:
- Kyiv: Charitable foundation “Rokada”, 0445015696; 7, Vasylya Chumaka Str.
- Odesa: Public Organization “10th April”, 0487869666, 0936628525; 15, Heroev Krut, str.
- Zakarpattia: International Foundation of Health and Environment Protection “Region Karpat” (NEEKA), 0313132122; 3 Michurina Str.
- Kharkov: Charitable foundation “R2P”, 0948111764; 85, Chernyshevska, str.
If you reside in other regions or for more information on the application process, please contact UNHCR directly via telephone number 0442889710 or visit our office at the address Kyiv, 16, Lavrska street, during the counselling day on Wednesday from 10:00 to 17:00.
Selected candidates will be notified of the results and invited for a personal interview.
Good luck for all.