Thematic discussions for the global compact on refugees
Integral to the development of the global compact on refugees will be a series of thematic discussions that will be used to ensure that its programme of action includes the perspectives of United Nations Member States and other stakeholders. These discussions will take place at the Palais des Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, over five days in the second half of 2017, as detailed below.
UNHCR will also seek to use existing meetings, processes and conferences to identify measures that could be included in the programme of action.
For a current list of events relevant to the development of the global compact on refugees, please see “The global compact on refugees: Extended calendar of relevant events”.
10 July 2017 – Thematic Discussion One: Past and current burden- and responsibility-sharing arrangements
- Summary conclusions
- Concept note
- Organizational note
- Selected references
- Written contributions from States and other stakeholders (including information on how to submit your contribution)
- Video: Main panel on current arrangements (Part One, Part Two, Conclusion)
- Video: Side panel on past arrangements
- Story: More action needed to share responsibility for refugees
17–18 October 2017 – Thematic Discussions Two and Three:
Measures to be taken at the onset of a large movement of refugees, including the elements set out in the "Reception and admission" section of the comprehensive refugee response framework (CRRF);
Meeting needs and supporting communities, including the "Support for immediate and ongoing needs" and "Support for host countries and communities" sections of the CRRF.
- Protection at sea
- Gender equality and women's empowerment in the global compact on refugees
- Education for refugees – inclusion in national systems
- Refugee voices: Closing the refugee representation gap
- The comprehensive refugee response framework in practice
14–15 November 2017 – Thematic Discussions Four and Five:
Measures to be taken in pursuit of durable solutions, in accordance with the final section of the CRRF; and
Issues that cut across all four substantive sections of the framework, and overarching issues