On 14 December 1950, the UN General Assembly adopted the Statute of the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees – formally presenting the new agency with its mission.
On the same day, it published the draft convention relating to the status of refugees, which was finalised and prepared for signing in July 1951.
UNHCR’s 70th anniversary is an opportunity to recognize the dedication, courage and contributions of those who work for our organization around the world. It is a chance for us to travel back in time, reflect on our present work and draw inspiration for the future.
- Barney Thompson, Senior Global Writer, [email protected], +447719553786
- Spokespeople in different countries: https://www.unhcr.org/international-media-contacts.html
- About archival content: Montserrat Canela Garayoa, Chief of Section - Records and Archives, [email protected], [email protected]
- About UNHCR photos: UNHCR Photo Unit, [email protected]
- About the Who we are video: Michelle Hoffman, Senior Video Production Officer, [email protected], +41 79 643 3919