Geneva Technical Hub
The Geneva Technical Hub (GTH) brings together Swiss academia and expert practitioners to tackle complex technical problems, share learnings, and find solutions that can be applied in diverse UNHCR operational contexts.
The work of the GTH contributes to the Second Pillar of the UNHCR’s Strategic Framework for Climate Action and its recently launched Operational Strategy by studying solutions to support the conservation of the natural environment and mitigate environmental degradation.
Officially launched in June 2021 under UNHCR’s Division of Resilience of Solutions, the Hub will further the resilience of the displaced and host communities to climate-related risks and strengthen preparedness and early action.
What kind of support is offered by the Geneva Technical Hub?
- Field support - in a targeted and time-bound way, both directly and remotely.
- Operational guidance - tools and best practices developed and operationalized.
- Think tank - in collaboration with academia, analyze, explore, develop and test new methods, products and solutions.
- Capacity building - to jointly learn and strengthen staff capacity.
What technical issues will be tackled?
- Support planning for sustainable settlements that are resilient to climate change.
- Study sustainable and environmentally friendly housing solutions.
- Improve water safety planning, supporting hydrogeological assessments, feasibility studies on solarization of boreholes and water network designs.
- Improve safe and reliable access to energy and WASH services for community infrastructures such as schools and health centres.
- Foster access to clean cooking fuels and technologies.
- Enhance access to sustainable electricity.
- Mainstream environmental considerations throughout humanitarian responses.
GTH also works in close collaboration with specialized Swiss universities, including:
- The Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology (eawag);
- The two Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology: École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) and the Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich (ETHZ).
For more information on the support offered, please email the Technical Support Section in the Division of Resilience and Solutions at [email protected].
You can download the Geneva Technical Hub brochure here.