Crossings of Mediterranean Sea exceed 300,000, including 200,000 to Greece
The Mediterranean Sea continues to be the deadliest route for refugees and migrants.
GENEVA, Aug 28 (UNHCR) - More than 300,000 refugees and migrants have used the dangerous sea route across the Mediterranean so far this year with almost 200,000 of them landing in Greece and a further 110,000 in Italy.
The UN refugee agency, revealing the latest statistics in Geneva on Friday, said this represents a large increase from last year, when around 219,000 people crossed the Mediterranean during the whole of 2014.
"At the same time, some 2,500 refugees and migrants are estimated to have died or gone missing this year, trying to reach Europe. This death toll does not include yesterday's tragedy off Libya where numbers of deaths are still unconfirmed," UNHCR spokesperson Melissa Fleming told a press briefing in Geneva.
Last year some 3,500 people died or were reported missing in the Mediterranean Sea.
Fleming said that despite the concerted efforts of the joint European search and rescue operation under FRONTEX, which has saved tens of thousands of lives this year, the Mediterranean Sea continues to be the "deadliest route for refugees and migrants".
She added that in the last few days, even more people had lost their lives in three separate incidents.
The Libyan Coast Guard carried two rescue operations on Thursday morning, seven miles off the port town of Zwara. Two boats carrying an approximate total of 500 refugees and migrants were intercepted and survivors taken to shore in Libya.
"An estimated 200 people are still missing and feared dead. A still undetermined number of bodies were recovered and taken to shore. The Libyan Red Crescent has been helping with the collection of the bodies," Fleming added.
On Wednesday (26 August), rescuers coming to the aid of another boat off the Libyan coast found 51 people dead from suffocation in the hold.
"According to survivors, smugglers were charging people money for allowing them to come out of the hold in order to breathe," Fleming detailed.
She quoted one survivor, Abdel, 25, from Sudan as saying: "We didn't want to go down there but they beat us with sticks to force us. We had no air so we were trying to get back up through the hatch and to breathe through the cracks in the ceiling. But the other passengers were scared the boat would capsize so they pushed us back down and beat us too. Some were stamping on our hands."
Fleming said that last week (15 August), the bodies of 49 persons were found in the hold of another boat in a similar but separate incident. They are thought to have died after inhaling poisonous fumes.
Also that week, a rubber dinghy carrying some 145 refugees and migrants ran into trouble when the person steering it made a manoeuvre that caused the dinghy to tilt dangerously to one side.
"Some people fell into the sea and two men jumped into the water to rescue them. Panic ensued and people began to jostle and shove and, as a result, three women were crushed to death on the dinghy," Fleming said.
Of those who fell in the water, 18 are still missing and believed to have drowned. The survivors were rescued and taken to Lampedusa, including a two-month old baby of one of the women who died. Most of the survivors are reported to be in a critical condition, suffering from shock, cuts and bruises.
Many of the people arriving by sea in southern Europe, particularly in Greece, come from countries affected by violence and conflict, such as Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan; they are in need of international protection and they are often physically exhausted and psychologically traumatized.
UNHCR appeals to all governments involved to provide comprehensive responses and act with humanity and in accordance with their international obligations.
All European countries and the EU must act together in response to the growing emergency and demonstrate responsibility and solidarity.
By Melissa Fleming, Geneva
Related news and stories
Ukraine's refugees find long-term support in Europe's host countries
AU, EU and UN push for urgent action to address the pressing needs of migrants and refugees in Libya
Earthquake survivors in Türkiye count the devastating toll
Twelve years on, Syrian refugees face deepening debt and hunger
Twelve years on, Syrian refugees face deepening debt and hunger
Visiting earthquake-ravaged areas of Türkiye and Syria, UNHCR's Grandi urges more support for survivors trying to rebuild
Your search for « mediterranean deadliest » matched 55 results. Displaying page 1 of 7 pages.
Mediterranean boat capsizing: deadliest incident on record21 Apr 2015 ... From available information and the various accounts we've had, UNHCR now believes the number of fatalities to have been over 800, making this the deadliest incident in the Mediterranean we have ever ......
Mediterranean death toll soars, 2016 is deadliest year yet25 Oct 2016 ... GENEVA – With two months still to go, deaths of refugees and migrants crossing the Mediterranean ... a large overall fall this year in the number of people seeking to cross the Mediterranean to Europe. ......
Three boat tragedies in five days on the Mediterranean - scores feared dead26 Aug 2014 ... The past few days have been the deadliest this year on the Mediterranean for people making irregular crossings to Europe, with at least three vessels having overturned or sunk and more than 300 lives ......
UNHCR sounds alarm as Mediterranean Sea deaths pass 1,500 mark3 Aug 2018 ... The bleak milestone was confirmed after more than 850 lives were lost in June and July alone, marking the Mediterranean crossing as the deadliest sea route in the world. UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, ......
More than 1,500 drown or go missing trying to cross the Mediterranean in 201131 Jan 2012 ... drowned or went missing last year while attempting crossings of the Mediterranean Sea. "This makes 2011 the deadliest year for this region since UNHCR started to record these statistics in 2006. ......
Tunisians save hundreds as another Lampedusa-bound boat capsizes3 Jun 2011 ... This appears to be one of the worst and the deadliest incidents in the Mediterranean so far this year. The overcrowded boat carried an estimated 850 people mostly from West Africa, Pakistan and ......
Mediterranean takes record as most deadly stretch of water for refugees and migrants in 201131 Jan 2012 ... According to UNHCR estimates, more than 1,500 people drowned or went missing while attempting to cross the Mediterranean to reach Europe in 2011. This makes 2011 the deadliest year for this region ......
At least 150 drown as yet another Lampedusa-bound boat capsizes3 Jun 2011 ... GENEVA, June 3 (UNHCR) - At least 150 people who fled Libya in hope of reaching the Italian island of Lampedusa have drowned in one of the year's deadliest boat incidents in the Mediterranean. ......
High seas tragedies leave more than 300 dead on the Mediterranean in past week26 Aug 2014 ... "The past few days have been the deadliest this year on the Mediterranean for people making irregular crossings to Europe, with at least three vessels having overturned or sunk," UNHCR's senior ......