JOB OPENING: Post No: 10030718– Communication / PI Associate (GL6), UNHCR Cyprus, Nicosia
Internal/External Vacancy Notice
Part 1 – Identification of Post
Vacancy Ref: Post No: 10030718– Communication / PI Associate (GL6), UNHCR Cyprus, Nicosia
Duration of contract: 1 April 2019 to 31 December 2019, with a possibility of further extension
Contact Person: Maria Kyriacou – Admin/Finance Associate ([email protected])
Closing Date: 18 February 2019
Part 2 – Position Requirements
2.1 Organizational Context
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a humanitarian and non-political organization mandated by the United Nations to protect refugees and stateless persons and help them find lasting solutions to their problems. UNHCR’s activities are based on a framework of international refugee law and standards that includes the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol, as well as an array of international and regional treaties on human rights and humanitarian law. UNHCR works with States, civil society organizations, the legal community, the media and other actors to ensure effective protection and promote durable solutions through a mix of capacity-building, refugee law promotion, advocacy and public awareness activities.
The Communication/PI Associate will be tasked with the management of the new website and social media accounts, which are used to disseminate UNHCR’s message to a wide audience, as well as maintain and add information to the help.unhcr.org platform, in order to establish it as the main one-stop information centre for refugees, asylum-seekers, lawyers and NGO professionals in an effort to debunk the myths and erroneous information on the rights and responsibilities of asylum-seekers and refugees in Cyprus. The Communication/PI Associate will also contribute to other reach-out activities of the PI unit, including awareness-raising at schools, joint-initiatives with tertiary academic institutions and the setting up of training sessions for journalists and educators.
2.2 Functional Statement
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
– The office is kept informed of local developments of interest to UNHCR.
– Evolving issues concerning displaced persons and refugees are monitored to be able to suggest stories and topics for the media coverage.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
– Assist in preparations of interviews to the local media and background briefings to the international media.
– Draft briefing notes, talking points, minutes and other papers for the high level meetings and visits.
– Provide daily inputs for the national web site on relevant local developments and ensure that briefing materials from other offices are available.
– Accompany visits of foreign delegation and the media to refugee sites in the region, giving appropriate briefings, interpreting support and commentaries.
– Draft reports, briefings, updates, etc.
– Assist in preparation of communication budget.
– Perform other duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
– Establish contacts with local organisations to promote general interest and understanding of refugee issues.
– Have access to UNHCR Communication / PI systems.
2.3 Required Competencies
– Innovation and creativity
– Technological awareness
– Political awareness
2.4 Essential Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience Required
– Completion of the Secondary Education with post-secondary training in Social Science, Journalism, Humanities or related field.
– Minimum 6 years of previous relevant job experience.
– Excellent computer skills and knowledge of MS Office applications.
– Excellent drafting skills as well as translation and interpreting skills.
– Fluency in English and Greek essential.
2.5 Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
– Completion of the UNHCR Learning Programmes or specific training relevant to the functions of the position.
– Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
– Applications must be in English and addressed by email to the above mentioned contact person.
– The UN Personal History Form (P-11) https://www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc must be filled out and submitted along with a motivation letter.
– Acknowledgements shall only be sent to short-listed candidates under consideration.
– Incomplete or late applications will not be taken into account.