Notice for Refugees
Second call for application for DAFI scholarship
UNHCR in India announces the second call for application for the DAFI Scholarship programme for the 2021-2022 academic year. Those who have applied for the first call, need not apply again
You are invited to apply for a second call for the DAFI scholarship programme funded by the German Government and administered by UNHCR with the goal of helping refugee students to access higher education.
Deadline for applications: 25 October 2021
The scholarship covers all tuition fees as well as living costs and educational materials during full-time studies up to a Bachelor degree, no longer than 4 years of studies.
All the candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Have refugee status with UNHCR in India;
- Have successfully completed secondary school to a standard sufficient to perform and succeed at a tertiary level;
- Have no other financial means of support for university studies;
- Be 28 years or younger at the beginning of studies;*
- Have no other family member receiving a DAFI scholarship.
- Be in need of financial support to continue your education;
- Strong motivation to contribute to your community;
- Interest in professional development;
Applicants with advanced resettlement cases (departure expected within one year) are not recommended for DAFI. Similarly, those expected to be naturalised/repatriated/leave the country soon, will not be considered.
DAFI scholarship may be renewed each year based on regular class attendance, successful completion of each semester and academic year, and participation in DAFI programme activities such as DAFI Club and community Engagement.
*Exceptions may apply if bachelor studies were started in the home Country but studies were interrupted due to flight, or challenges due to a specific factor such as parenting/child care responsibilities, disability, etc.
- The date of receipt of applications will be acknowledged in writing
- Full knowledge of English is a prerequisite for English language-based subjects;
- Limited seats are available for this year;
- We encourage qualified female candidates and refugees with special needs to apply;
- There are no application and processing fees for the DAFI scholarship – it is free of charge;
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview;
- Interviews would be virtually conducted.
How to apply
- Forms can be downloaded here
- Application forms are available with refugee support centres in different locations (refer to contacts per location for details).
- Completed application forms from all locations with letters of motivation and relevant scanned documents can be sent to Ms. Paramita Dasgupta at [email protected], latest by 5.30 pm, 25th October 2021.
Contacts per location:
Students who wish to submit forms along with relevant documents can submit them at refugee support centres below:
- New Delhi (BOSCO): Malviya Nagar Training Centre:147 A Khirki Village.Opp. Select City Mall | Bhogal Training Center: 1-1/6A Temple Road, Jangpura, Bhogal | Vikaspuri Training Centre: WZ- 83 Budella, Vikaspuri, near DG-2 Flats.
- Hyderabad (Save The Children): House No-9-53, Plot No- 3, New Gayathri Nagar, Jilleguda, Hyderabad, 500097 (Land Mark Opposite 2nd Megacity Grammer High School).
- Jammu (Save The Children): Lane no. 3, Peer colony, Narwalbala, Kiryani Talab, Bhatindi, Jammu 180002, Near Akthar Super Market
- Nuh (Action Aid): Ward No. 2, Housing Board Colony, Nangli Road, Nuh, Mewat-122107 (Haryana)
- Mathura (ActionAid): Vigyan Foundation education centre, Village-Allahapur, Near Bansi nursery, Paras Madi Hospital, Agra-Delhi bypass, Near Chattikara Chauraha, Mathura
- Aligarh (ActionAid): Vigyan Foundation centre, Makhdum Nagar, Baniyewali Gali, Aligarh, Pincode – 202001
- Jaipur (DAJI): 59, Mehnat Nagar 60 Ft Road, Hatwara, Khatipura Road, Jaipur 302006, Rajasthan
- Pune (Gandhi National Memorial Society (GNMS)): Agakhan Palace, Yerawada, Ahmednagar Road, Pune 411006
Please also visit https://help.unhcr.org/india/