Preparing for an emergency involves risk monitoring, scenario-based contingency planning, and establishing how to deliver assistance and protection. During times of crisis, UNHCR uses this knowledge to co-lead the inter-agency response, while acting under the overall leadership of the host government.
Our Refugee Coordination Guidance Note promotes best practice in order to make refugee coordination more predictable, inclusive and collaborative. It also helps other humanitarian actors working in refugee operations, leading to better protection, assistance and durable solutions for refugees.
One tool of the Refugee Coordination Model (RCM) is the Refugee Response Plan: an inter-agency coordination platform that provides an overview of the protection needs and solutions strategy for a refugee response. This helps to better coordinate the response, keep it in line with host government plans and raise life-saving funds for RRP partners.
To find out more about how we coordinate agile, effective and community-based humanitarian emergency responses, you can read the UNHCR Emergency Handbook.
Updated Guidance on UNHCR's leadership and coordination role in refugee responses.
Information brochure about UNHCR's Global Emergency Stockpile located in Dubai.
UNHCR Emergency Response Planning
- UNHCR Global Appeal 2018-2019 Update - Responding with lifesaving support Nov 2017
- UNHCR Global Appeal 2017 Update - Responding to emergencies Dec 2016
- UNHCR Global Appeal 2016-2017 - Responding to emergencies 1 Dec 2015
UNHCR Reporting on Emergency Response
- UNHCR Global Report 2017 - Responding with lifesaving support Jun 2018
- UNHCR Global Report 2016 - Responding with lifesaving support Jun 2017
- UNHCR Global Report 2015 - Responding with lifesaving support 1 Jun 2016