Junior Professional Officer
Most JPOs are between ages 25 and 35, depending on donor country policy, and are recruited as professional staff members at the P2 level. While most JPOs are citizens of their donor countries, the Netherlands may also sponsor citizens of other countries under the Developing Countries Scheme (JPO/DC). Nearly 69 per cent of JPOs continue in UNHCR as regular staff at the end of their assignment. UNHCR manages around 60 JPOs yearly sponsored by 15 Governments. Most JPO assignments last from two to three years.
- Degree equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree or a Master’s Degree in a field relevant to the functions requested in the job description.
- At least two to four years of relevant work experience (two years with a Master Degree - or higher - or four years with a Bachelor Degree).
- Proficiency in English (spoken and written) and working knowledge of a second language of the United Nations is strongly recommended asset (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, and Spanish).
- Keen and demonstrated interest in the United Nations and humanitarian issues, in particular, and ability to live and/or serve in hardship locations.
Applicants interested in pursuing a JPO experience need to regularly consult the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or a governmental institution of their country.
- The position of Associate Resettlement and Complementary Pathways Officer in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, is advertised in the frame of the Canadian JPO Programme and is only open to candidates with Canadian nationality; other nationalities will not be considered. To apply, candidates should fill out the application form (PHF) to be found here (https://www.unhcr.org/how-to-apply.html) and send it back to [email protected] with the following subject line: PN 10032542 – CND – LAST NAME, First name. The closure date of application is Sunday 23 October 2022, 23:59 Geneva time.
- The position of Associate Livelihoods and Economic Inclusion Officer in Bertoua, Cameroon, is advertised in the frame of the Norwegian JPO Programme and is only open to candidates with Norwegian nationality; other nationalities will not be considered. To apply, candidates should fill out the application form (PHF) to be found here (https://www.unhcr.org/how-to-apply.html) and send it back to [email protected] with the following subject line: PN 10038881– NOR – LAST NAME, First name. The closure date of application is Sunday 23 October 2022, 23:59 Geneva time.
What are the benefits of being a Junior Professional Officer?
"There is no doubt that I have grown professionally in the last three years with UNHCR and shall continue to work with the same spirit in the days to come. I feel more professional, ready to learn more and to continue to grow. The JPO programme is an excellent entry point for any newcomer to learn and to determine their future goal."
-Suprity Timilsina, Associate Protection Officer in Nairobi, Kenya.