Vacancy Notice: Assistant Communication/PI Officer
Vacancy at UNHCR Malta for a Communication/PI Officer (NOA), closing date for applications: 22 July 2020
UNHCR Malta is recruiting an Assistant Communication/Public Information Officer
The role of the Assistant Communication Officer within the UNHCR Malta team is a pivotal role in contributing broadly to the protection and durable solutions strategy of the office. In this regard, the Assistant Communication Officer works very closely with the protection and durable solutions units in a multi-sectoral set up and with the view to provide Public Information coverage on protection and integration related activities.
Specifically, the incumbent will lead the development of a broader Communications strategy, including undertaking regular surveys that inform the office’s communication with various communities. Given the often intense focus, including from international media, on refugee and migrant movements in the central Mediterranean and mix migration disembarkations in Malta, the incumbent is expected to deal with media coverage and deal with increasing media requests, including issuing PR statements and other public comments in very tight deadlines and off official working hours.
The incumbent is expected to also handle growing number of requested reports, updates, briefing documents. He/she will have to be able to develop and maintain solid working relations with journalists and with relevant Government officials as well as with other external partners.
He/she is expected to represent UNHCR in different forums therefore public presentation skills and overall knowledge of UNHCR work, including regionally and globally is an important desired feature. As National Officer, he/she will be part of the senior management within the office, therefore he/she is expected to contribute and to support the Representative. In this regard, the functions will require active involvement in other domains outside the strict Job Description of the post.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved):
– UNHCR’s media relations and advocacy work in geographic and thematic area are supported.
– UNHCR’s standing with its counterparts is maintained.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results):
– Assist in establishment of close working relationships with television, radio and news agencies to promote and ensure the dissemination of UNHCR aims, activities and principles.
– Assist in development of working relationships with the Government, NGOs and UN Agencies in order to raise interest and develop co-operation in inter-related activities.
– Organise UNHCR’s public awareness campaign in the duty station.
– Draft bulletins and updates on UNHCR’s operations in the duty station.
– Brief national and international media of developments in UNHCR’s operations in the duty stations and accompany visiting media to the refugee camps where applicable.
– Assist in planning and organising advertisements, exhibitions, training seminars, conferences, meetings, social events and other activities to promote a better understanding of UNHCR’s activities and accomplishments by the general public and/or organised groups.
– Assist in preparation of communication budget.
– Perform other duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
– Organise the distribution of UNHCR publications and the provision of materials to various institutions and individuals to respond to the interest of the public on issues related to refugees and other persons of concern.
– Produce reports for donor agencies as required.
Please note that as this is a local position, having Maltese nationality is required.
Expected contract starting date: January 2021
Initial contract duration: 1 year (Fixed-Term Appointment)
How to apply:
To apply, please click here.
Click on VACANCIES on the top right-hand side and use the filters or keywords to find the relevant position.
Deadline to submit applications:
Wednesday 22 July 2020