The UNHCR Division of External Relations announces the following vacancy:
Associate Project Officer – Tigrinya Speaking
To work in the context of the Eritrean segments of a project called E-Platform: Telling the real story – Information campaign targeting Somali and Eritrean migrants. (www.tellingtherealstory.org).
The objectives of Telling the Real Story are:
- Countering the narrative of smugglers and inform Somali and Eritrean communities of the full scope of dangers associated with irregular movement to and life in Europe;
- Maintain and reinforce the intra-community discourse on the dangers of irregular movement by countering the narrative of smugglers and undermining their credibility.
Under the direct supervision of the Snr Protection Officer, and in close consultations with Protection staff and the Project Manager, the Associate Project Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Dissemination of the project in refugee camps in Shire;
- Take a lead role in establishing and nurturing partnerships with stakeholders, build networks with existing refugee associations and engage with celebrity supporters to expand advocacy activities in Shire;
- In close consultation with the Field teams at camp level, in Endabaguna and in Shire Office, he/she will work towards ensuring sustainability of the project through co-designing sustainable models for the project continuity with partners and UNHCR programme officers;
- Analyse existing statistical data in order to provide operations information on trends and lead research into gaps in information concerning onwards movement;
- Through direct engagement with refugees, he/she will analyse existing trends, motivations for departure and misinformation provided within the community and by smugglers particularly related to current mixed migration developments;
- Drive engagement and awareness-raising activities aimed at reframing the discourse to counter the narrative of the smugglers and inform the refugees of the full scope of dangers associated with irregular movement to and life in Europe;
- Hold regular awareness raising activities intended for different segments of the refugee population. The activities will involve – and not limited to, distributing the children’s book in refugee schools, Child Friendly Spaces (CFS), hold sessions with parents and guardians, screen testimonies, hold focus group discussions, organize community engagement sessions using a range of mechanisms such as theater, poetry, art, etc;
- In combatting misinformation by smugglers targeting children and youth, together with children and youth and members of the Youth Association, the Associate Project Officer will create and provide print or visual resources to encourage children and youth to think critically about messages from traffickers, including by providing information on legal pathways and;
- Develop messages and create campaign materials;
- Carryout assessments in order to collect data on secondary migration and analyse data collected by UNHCR Shire (registration and or resettlement colleagues) and other implementing or operational partners.
- Any additional responsibilities requested by the Senior Protection Offficer.
- Masters degree or higher in social sciences, communications or in a relevant field;
- Knowledge of UN policies and procedures;
- 2 – 4 years of relevant experience;
- Basic understanding of international refugee protection and UNHCR’s mandate;
- Conceptual and practical understanding of protection issues and approaches in humanitarian contexts, including the constraints, sensitivities and risks associated with such work;
- General familiarity with the regional mixed migration dynamics in the Mediterranean region;
- Background in community engagement; communication; protection and/or social work;
- Field experience;
- Excellent analytical skills and strategic thinking;
- Ability to establish and foster successful partnerships and collaborations;
- Experience of working with persons of concern desirable and;
- Excellent written and oral communication in English and Tigrinya.
The Associate Project Officer will be stationed in Shire, Ethiopia.
The Consultancy contract will be issued by UNOPS
Send a UN Personal History Form (P 11) and a motivation letter in English by 02 May 2018 for the attention Ms. Christa Awuor Odinga at [email protected]
Applications without a P11 will not be considered.
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter