Project Associate – LICA 6 – Stockholm
Title: Project Associate
Organisation: UNHCR (administered by UNOPS)
Duty station: Stockholm, Sweden
Contract/Level: Local Individual Contractor Agreement – LICA 6, (equivalent to G6)
Duration: Start date is 02 January 2019. The position is to the end of 2019 with a 3 month probation/trial period.
The UNHCR Division of External Relations (DER) announces the following vacancy under the “Telling the Real Story” (TRS) project:
To work in the context of the Nigerian segment of a project called Telling the Real Story (www.tellingtherealstory.org).
The purpose of this awareness campaign is to counter smugglers’ narrative and disseminate realistic and truthful information about the dangers of the journey to Europe and the situation of Nigerians in Europe. Women and girls particularly need to be made aware of the sexual exploitation that they might risk to face.
The purpose of the campaign is by no means to dissuade persons with protection needs from seeking asylum, but to empower Nigerians primarily women and youth to take informed decisions and be aware of the propaganda that smugglers, traffickers and profiteers could entice them with.
This project started in 2015 focussing primarily on Eritreans and Somalis traveling irregularly.
The objectives of Telling the Real Story are:
- Dispel rumours and counter smugglers’ narrative by using testimonials to illustrate the real dangers of irregular migration;
- Maintain and reinforce the intra-community discourse
- Inform on regular ways of moving and, if available, complementary pathways of solution.
The Project Associate will be responsible for the following:
- Identifying and engaging Nigerian refugees and asylum seekers who have travelled irregularly to Europe;
- Identifying and engaging Nigerian refugees and asylum seekers who have travelled regularly to Europe;
- Transcribing videos, audio and written testimonies from the Nigerian refugees and asylum seekers to English meaning-to-meaning to text format and vice versa;
- Monitor social media platforms documenting conversations and content shared across social networks that would be relevant to the project;
- Build outreach networks within the Nigerian diaspora and media in Europe;
- Build outreach networks with organizations that engage with Nigerian refugees, asylum seekers and migrants in Europe
- Under the supervision of the Project Manager, engage with the diaspora in Europe to get their buy-in and support in dissemination of the project messages;
- Travel to other countries in Europe, to meet with the Nigerian diaspora, as necessary
- Disseminate the project to diaspora communities and on platforms in which Nigerians engage;
- Analyse existing data in order to provide information on trends and lead research into gaps in information concerning onwards movement;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of effective communications and outreach to enhance visibility of Telling the Real Story;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
This job implies travels within Europe.
- Bachelor Degree in Communication, social work or relevant field;
- 2 years of relevant experience;
- Capacity to develop strategic communication visions;
- Conceptual and practical understanding of protection issues and approaches in humanitarian contexts, including the constraints, sensitivities and risks associated with such work;
- Basic knowledge of UNHCR’s mandate;
- General familiarity with the regional mixed migration dynamics in the Mediterranean region;
- Experience with social media and monitoring;
- Good written and oral communication in English and Pidgin. Knowledge of languages from Edo State is desirable;
- Ability to establish and foster successful partnerships and collaborations particularly with the diaspora and diaspora led organisation;
- Experience in transcribing raw video and audio footage;
- Demonstrate experience in engaging with online communities to build awareness and generate dialogue;
- Experience of working with persons of concern;
- Experience with WordPress and creating images for social media;
- Experience of using Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat is a plus;
- Knowledge of written and spoken pidgin is required.
The Project Associate will be based in Stockholm therefore MUST be able to legally stay and work in Stockholm.
The Consultancy contract will be issued, as a local recruitment, by UNOPS, starting 02 January 2019. The position is to the end of 2019 with a 3 month probation/trial period.
Sending a UNHCR Personal History Form (P11) and a motivation letter in English by 9 December 2018 attention Ms. Christa Awuor Odinga at [email protected].
Applications without a P11 will not be considered.
Women are encouraged to apply.
Please note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter