Communication Consultant – Latvia
Communication Consultant (Latvia)
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. UNHCR is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern.
The UNHCR Regional Representation for Northern Europe (RRNE) is based in Stockholm, Sweden and is responsible for eight countries: Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The RRNE seeks to maintain and further improve the asylum space, to engage the public to raise and amplify voices for refugees and increase awareness of the refugee cause, to mobilize the public, financial and political support for UNHCR´s activities, to increase UNHCR’s branding and visibility in the region and to improve UNHCR’s outreach through strategic partnerships.
To support UNHCR activities RRNE is hiring a consultant with expertise in communication and media relations.
The Consultant will:
- Assist in identifying opportunities for UNHCR engagement in public and expert discussions on refugee related topics and facilitate media engagements
- Assist in planning and organizing exhibitions, training seminars, conferences, meetings, social events and other activities to promote a better understanding of UNHCR’s activities and accomplishments by the general public and targeted groups
- Assist in promoting and disseminating UNHCR’s advocacy messages, reports and information and coordination of joint communication with partners
- Assist in identifying opportunities for refugee engagement and participation
- Provide analysis of media trends and coverage of the refugee related topics
- Draft reports, booklets and other publications for target audiences
- Contribute to the production of refugee-related content for the regional website
For this purpose, the consultant will develop and maintain close relationship with refugees, refugee networks, journalists and main media outlets, state institutions communication departments, NGOs proving assistance to refugees or advocating on their behalf, as well as civil society refugee supporting groups.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Adherence to UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promote the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNHCR
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, national and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treat all people fairly without favoritism.
- Excellent writing, editing and communications skills in Latvian and English
- Familiarity with various writing techniques.
- Good analytical skills and ability to understand and apply complex socio-cultural contexts to collected data
- Knowledge of community communication and engagement approaches
Minimum Requirements, Qualifications and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Social Science, Communications, Anthropology, Human Rights or related fields. (Additional years of University studies might be counted in lieu of job experience)
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience
- Understanding of the Latvian media landscape
- Proficiency in Latvian and English is essential
- Basic knowledge of UNHCR’s operations.
- Experience in social work
- Skills in visualising information
- Proficiency in Russian
Contractual arrangement and salary
The consultancy is part-time and is from 1 April to 31 December 2019. The consultant will be based in Latvia.
Remuneration: 800 EUR per month based on deliverables.
Email your application to [email protected] using the subject line: Communication consultant for Latvia and your name, attaching the following:
- Motivation letter,
- CV and
- A recently filled P11 Form (http://www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc)
Closing date: 24 March 2019,
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please contact Marcel Colun, [email protected].