Senior External Relations Associate, UNHCR Stockholm, G7 level
External & Internal Vacancy Announcement
The UN Refugee Agency, UNHCR, is looking for a dynamic, flexible and proactive person to take up the position as Senior External Relations Associate for its Regional Office for Northern Europe based in Stockholm, Sweden. The Regional Office is engaged with maintaining close contact with Governments interlocutors, civil society, non-governmental organisations and refugees in the five Nordic countries – Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and in the three Baltic States – Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, on matters relating to UNHCR´s work and mandate in providing international protection and seeking durable solutions to the situation of the world´s refugees, internally displaced and stateless persons.
The role of the Senior External Relations Associate is to lead the work on external relations under the direct supervision of the Regional Representative. The work involves maintaining close contact and liaison with Government counterparts in the countries covered by the Regional Office, especially with regard to UNHCR´s worldwide activities. All countries provide important levels of financial assistance to UNHCR as well as political support for upholding the mandate of UNHCR. Officials from the countries regularly meet with UNHCR and the Regional Office also provides our governmental interlocutors with updated information on UNHCR´s activities and facilitates missions by senior UNHCR staff to capitals. The work also involves coordinating, attending and preparing meetings and events of relevance to UNHCR´s work.
The position requires advanced level of English drafting skills and the ability to prioritize tasks as well as to organize work independently. The Senior External Relations Associate supervises an External Relations Assistant and also works in close cooperation with the 20+ colleagues working in the Regional Office responsible for Management, Communications, PI and Protection matters. Able to quickly adapt to changing situations and working in teams are therefore important attributes for the candidate.
The position is in the Local Staff category at the G-7 level.
UNHCR offers work in an interesting international office environment with a wide variety of tasks conducted both independently and together with other members of the Office team.
- UNHCR will have timely information on key developments in the countries covered by the Regional Representation which may have an impact on their political and /or financial support for UNHCR’s activities worldwide.
- Government interlocutors in the countries covered by the Regional Representation will be supported with targeted information and country-specific donor visibility activities.
- UNHCR’s standing with its Government, UN and NGO association counterparts is maintained.
Main areas of responsibility:
- Ensure that the office and UNHCR HQ are kept informed of regional and national developments which may have a political or financial impact on support for UNHCR´s worldwide activities.
- Assist in maintaining an open and supportive dialogue with Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Ministries for International Development, development agencies and international/national organisations to promote general interest and understanding of global refugee issues and UNHCR´s activities worldwide.
- Maintain overview of key developments within the area of forced displacement and humanitarian operations, including the UN, humanitarian reform and institutional developments.
- Prepare comprehensive and accurate information and talking points for all bilateral meetings, missions and briefings involving Government entities and officials with regard to their global engagement with UNHCR activities.
- Assist in planning and organizing high level UNHCR missions, conferences and other activities to promote a better understanding of UNHCR’s mandate, activities and global funding situation and to mobilize political and financial support.
- Plan and implement the preparation of donor visibility material using a range of media, including print, video, and web-stories and disseminates the material using a variety of channels including twitter, website, articles in newspapers and magazines, etc.
- Perform other related duties as required
Qualifications and Professional experience:
- Completion of Secondary education with certificate/training in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Journalism, Communication or other related fields
- Minimum 11 years of relevant work experience
- Computer and IT skills (MS Office, website preparation etc
- Fluency in English and a Scandinavian language
- Excellent drafting and communications skills
Send your application to: UNHCR, Sveavägen 166, 113 46 Stockholm, SWEDEN. Mark your application “SNR ER ASSOC”. Applications must be submitted in English with a personal motivation letter, a CV, copies of certificates and a P11 form available at www.unhcr-northerneurope.org. Applications by e-mail are not accepted
IMPORTANT: Work permit in Sweden required at the time of application and recruitment.
For more information: Please contact [email protected]
Closing date: 25 November 2019
Issued by UNHCR Regional Representation in Stockholm on 01 November 2019