N.B.: PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO COVID-19, THE SELECTED CANDIDATE WILL ONLY BE OFFERED AN INTERNSHIP ONCE THE PUBLIC HEALTH SITUATION ALLOWS FOR THIS
The Communications & Public Information Unit in UNHCR’s Representation for the Nordic and Baltic Countries is responsible for the United Nations Refugee Agency’s public image and communication efforts in the region.
We communicate externally – to the general public, media, decision-makers and other stakeholders, and on several platforms – to create awareness about the global refugee situation, to promote a positive narrative on refugees, as well as to strengthen the support for UNHCR’s work, mission and mandate, and to advocate for an improved refugee response.
We work in a close, fast-paced team that is always looking for new and inventive ways to communicate.
We are currently recruiting to our office in Stockholm, where you will be part of the Communications & Public Information Unit and working closely with the External Relations Unit, which focuses on partnerships and funding. We are looking for a dynamic person who is available to start on 1 September 2021, for a period of four-six months.
Description of tasks:
- Producing content about UNHCR events, stories on good integration practices, or interviewing refugees for our website, as well as updating and maintaining our Regional UNHCR websites
- Developing media formats and content to keep pace with the latest in digital and communication trends, as well as exploring new ideas to communicate and advocate UNHCR’s key messages, including on social media
- Monitoring, tracking, and analysing refugee issues in print, broadcast, and digital media (including social media)
- Translating communication materials between English and languages of our region (in line with your language skills)
- Research tasks based on your interests and UNHCR’s priorities, including gathering information and facts for proactive media pitching, launching of specific and/or thematic communication campaigns, and conversion into educational materials.
- Reporting and monitoring Nordic and Baltic humanitarian and development activities and engagements.
- Research and drafting for donor visibility activities (tweets and stories)
- Drafting text for internal documents
- A degree in communication, media studies, journalism, political science, international relations, development studies, or migration studies
- Fluency in written and spoken English and a language of the region
- Good knowledge of refugee issues in the Nordic region, including the political context
- Strong writing skills
- Experience writing for a public audience (e.g.: newspaper articles, student journalism, local association or group, a blog, etc.) is very desirable, as well as strong skills and experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
APPLY TO THIS INTERNSHIP
Good to know when applying
- Interns may be eligible for funding through scholarships available by universities, or other external sources and are encouraged to look into this. A food and transportation allowance of maximum USD 1,000 per month is available for un-sponsored interns.
- It is the responsibility of interns or their sponsoring institution to arrange for travel to and from the duty station upon commencement and conclusion of the internship. All related travel expenses, including visas, will be paid by the intern or sponsoring institution. UNHCR does not cover the cost of travel or visa.
- All interns who are not nationals of the country where their duty station is located must show proof of valid medical insurance coverage, including illness, accidents and repatriation coverage, to cover the full period of the internship. UNHCR accepts no responsibility for any costs connected to medical insurance of interns.
- The internship is planned to commence on 1 September 2021 and last for 4-6 months (to be agreed upon).
- You may also wish to read answers to some of the Frequently Asked Questions.
Prepare your application
Your application consists of three documents, written in English:
Submit your application
Please submit your application via email, including in the subject line “Internship Application”.
Send your application to the following email address: [email protected] by 04 July 2021.
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter