Danish Contributions to UNHCR
In 2017, Denmark signed a five-year agreement with UNHCR, committing to continue providing flexible funding and providing support to innovative solutions.
Denmark has consistently been a top donor to UNHCR. In 2019, it was the 8th biggest donor and the 4th largest donor per capita. In 2018, it was the 8th biggest donor and 3rd per capita.
Key facts about Denmark as a UNHCR donor
- During the Global Refugee Forum, Denmark pledged DKK 50 million per year in 2020 and 2021 for UNHCR’s development of innovative solutions.
- Denmark contributes DKK 50.5 million (around USD 7.5 million) to UNHCR’s Emergency Reserve Fund at the start of every year.
- Denmark contributed over 24 million USD in unearmarked funding in 2019 and a total of USD 91.6 million to UNHCR. It was a top 10 donor.
- Denmark’s top recipients in 2019 were: South-Sudan situation, Syria situation, Myanmar situation and the Afghan situation.
- Denmark’s thematic foci: Solutions and Innovation
For more information on Danish and Northern European funding, follow us on Twitter.
Danish Contribution Stories
UNHCR is grateful for Denmark’s important USD 4 million contribution that will alleviate the acute needs for many of the people who have been forced to flee their homes due to the violence in South Sudan and the CAR.
Recurrent conflicts in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), South Sudan and the Central African Republic (CAR) in the last couple of months have put additional pressure on UNHCR’s emergency operations in the region.