Communication intern at UNHCR in Copenhagen
The Communications & Public Information unit in UNHCR’s office in Northern Europe (covering the Nordics and the Baltics) is responsible for UNHCR’s public image and communication efforts in the region.
We communicate externally – to the general public, media, decision-makers and other stakeholders and on several platforms – to create awareness about the global refugee situation, to promote a positive narrative on refugees as well as to strengthen the support for UNHCR’s work, mission and mandate and advocate for an improved refugee response.
We work in a close, fast-paced team that is always looking for new and inventive ways to communicate.
We are currently recruiting to our office in Copenhagen, where you will be part of the small Danish liaison office, placed in UN City in Nordhavn. We are looking for 1 intern to start 1 March 2020 for four to six months.
Description of tasks:
- Writing articles about UNHCR events, stories on good integration practices or interviewing refugees for our website, as well as updating and maintaining Danish and Regional UNHCR websites.
- Developing media formats and content to keep pace with the latest in digital and communication trends as well as exploring new ideas to communicate and advocate UNHCR’s key messages, including on Social Media.
- Monitoring, tracking and analyzing refugee issues in print, broadcast and digital media (including social media).
- Translating communication materials from/to English and Danish.
- Research tasks based on your interests and UNHCR’s priorities, including gathering information and facts for proactive media pitching, launching of specific and/or thematic communication campaigns and conversion into educational material.
- A degree in communication, media studies, journalism, political science, international relations, development studies or migration studies.
- Fluency in written and spoken Danish and English.
- Good knowledge of refugee issues in Denmark and the Nordic the region, including the political debate.
- Experience writing for a public audience (e.g.: newspaper articles, student journalism, local association or group, a blog, etc.) is very desirable, as well as strong skills and experience with Social Media (Facebook, Twitter & Instagram).
APPLY TO THIS INTERNSHIP
Good to know when applying
- Interns may be eligible for funding through scholarships available by universities, or other external sources and are encouraged to look into this. A food and transportation allowance of maximum 1,000 USD per month is available for un-sponsored interns.
- The internship is planned to commence on 1 March 2020 and last for 4-6 months (to be agreed).
- It is the responsibility of interns or their sponsoring institution to arrange for travel to and from the duty station upon commencement and conclusion of the internship. All related travel expenses, including visas, will be paid by the intern or sponsoring institution. UNHCR does not cover the cost of travel or visas.
- All interns who are not nationals of the country where their duty station is located must show proof of valid medical insurance coverage, including illness, accidents and repatriation coverage, to cover the full period of the internship. UNHCR accepts no responsibility for any costs connected to medical insurance of interns.
- You may also wish to read answers to some of the Frequently Asked Questions
Prepare your application
Your application consists of three documents written in English:
- A 1-page letter of motivation
- A copy of your up-to-date CV/resume
- A completed UNHCR Personal History Form.
Submit your application
Please submit your application via email before 29 January 2020, including in the subject line “Internship Application”. Feel free to submit a few examples of your writing in either Danish or English.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Candidates with refugee or migration background are strongly encouraged to apply.
Send your application to Elisabeth Haslund, email: [email protected]