General information on UNHCR Ukraine’s activities:
- The UNHCR Ukraine Latest Information Products is a one page document that contains snapshots and links to all the latest UNHCR Ukraine updates, fact sheets and dashboards.
- The UNHCR Country Fact Sheet is a two page document that contains general information on UNHCR’s protection and humanitarian activities in Ukraine, including information on its partners, persons of concern, funding overview, among others.
- The UNHCR Operational Update is published on a monthly basis and reads like a “newsletter”. It informs the reader about the protection and humanitarian activities that UNHCR and its NGO partners have implemented during that respective month. Please note that you can request Operational Updates of previous months by emailing us at UNHCR [email protected].
- The UNHCR Ukraine Yearly Achievement is a two page overview of all of our protection and humanitarian activities in favour of refugees, asylum-seekers, stateless, internally displaced and conflict-affected persons in Ukraine in 2018.
- Through extensive consultations with partners in 2017, UNHCR developed a Multi-Year, Multi-Partner Protection and Solutions Strategy for Ukraine. The strategy sets out UNHCR’s plan for engagement in Ukraine for a period of five years (2018-2022).
- This thematic fact sheet explores UNHCR Ukraine’s protection activities in favour of refugees and asylum-seekers.
- This thematic fact sheet explores UNHCR Ukraine’s protection activities in favour of persons at risk of statelessness.
In support of advocacy efforts:
- The UNHCR Ukraine Legislative Update is published on a monthly basis and contains UNHCR’s legal analysis of laws and governmental policies that affects refugees, asylum-seekers, stateless, internally displaced and conflict-affected persons in Ukraine. Please note that you can search for Legislative Updates of previous months on the UNHCR online database Refworld.
- The UNHCR Ukraine Key Messages contains a selection of our main advocacy messages for human rights duty bearers in Ukraine.
- The UNHCR Ukraine Advocacy Messages on Asylum contains our main messages for Ukrainian authorities to ensure rightful access to asylum.
- UNHCR places refugees, internally displaced (IDPs), conflict affected and stateless persons at the centre of its decision-making concerning their protection and well-being. Therefore, UNHCR regularly organizes country wide participatory assessment with our persons of concern. Please note that UNHCR is currently carrying out a 2019 participatory assessment that will be published once finalized.
- This is a joint United Nations briefing note to support advocacy in favour of access to pensions for IDPs and persons living in non-government controlled areas.
- This is a joint United Nations briefing note to support advocacy in favour of freedom of movement for civilians who cross the ‘contact line’ in eastern Ukraine.
- This is a joint United Nations briefing note to support advocacy in favour of facilitating birth registration of children
born in non-government controlled areas of eastern Ukraine.
- Prepared by the Protection Cluster, this document provides practical guidance on how peacebuilding and reconciliation can be operationalized in humanitarian response, including examples from other contexts, as well as key recommendations.
- Prepared by the Protection Cluster, this document provides guidance for humanitarian and development actors on how to address protection risks and socio-economic vulnerabilities in their work, and highlights aspects to consider in operations to ensure a protection focused response in Ukraine.
- Prepared by the Protection Cluster, this document supports advocacy efforts in favour of adopting mine action legislation in Ukraine that will facilitate the process of demining.
- Prepared by the Protection Cluster, this document supports advocacy efforts in favour of internally displaced persons’ access to their voting rights in Ukraine.
- Prepared by the Protection Cluster, this document provides guidance for humanitarian and development actors on how to address protection risks and socio-economic vulnerabilities in their work.
Thematic information on UNHCR Ukraine’s activities:
- UNHCR has been working in Ukraine since 1994 and has been supporting different Ukrainian government partners in improving the protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, stateless, internally displaced and conflict affected persons in Ukraine. This document explores UNHCR’s partnerships with its main government partners.
- UNHCR supports the entry-exit checkpoints (EECPs) along the government-controlled side of the ‘contact line’ in order to ease the freedom of movement and improve the conditions for people who cross. This document explains the support that UNHCR has provided at the EECPs.
- As part of its wider protection response, UNHCR provides Individual Protection Assistance (IPA) to the most
vulnerable among the displaced and other conflict affected persons in east Ukraine. This document explains how we select beneficiaries as well as the protection impacts of this activity.
- Depending on available funding and needs, UNHCR provides winterization assistance in eastern Ukraine on both sides of the ‘contact line’. This document shares the achievements of UNHCR’s recent winterization programme in east Ukraine.
- During 2017, UNHCR implemented 24 GIZ-funded Quick Impact Projects (QIPs) in the government-controlled areas of eastern Ukraine. The projects were funded under the auspices of GIZ’s initiative strengthening social infrastructure for the absorption of internally displaced persons.
- UNHCR Ukraine supported 86 communities to establish sustainable Community Centres in an effort to promote protection and durable solutions for internally displaced persons from 2015 to 2017. This report contains a review of these Community Centres and compiles good practices, lessons learned and recommendations for UNHCR’s future engagement in sustainable Community Centre programmes in Ukraine.
Online Maps and Dashboards:
UNHCR and NGO The Right to Protection (R2P)’s ‘Crossing the Line of Contact’ Monitoring Reports:
Humanitarian-Development Nexus Activities:
Protection Cluster Documents:
- The Protection Cluster Fact Sheet is a two page document that contains general information on recent protection information collected by Protection Cluster Partners in Ukraine. Please note that you can search for Protection Cluster Fact Sheets from previous months on the Humanitarian Response Portal for the Protection Cluster in Ukraine.
- Please find attached the report of the Global Protection Cluster Thematic Roundtable on Internal Displacement in Peace Agreements and Peace Processes, that took place in Kyiv, Ukraine in 2018.
Assessments, surveys and analysis:
Free legal aid to refugees and persons in need of subsidiary or temporary protection (also available in Arabic, Farsi and Russian)