UNHCR Zimbabwe provides protection and assistance to around 22,400 refugees and asylum-seekers and the communities hosting them. Most of the refugees reside in Tongogara Refugee Camp, in Manicaland province, southeastern Zimbabwe, while few of them live in urban areas, mainly in Harare.
Approximately, 74% of the refugees and asylum-seekers registered by UNHCR are from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, while 11% come from Mozambique, 6% from Burundi, 5% from Rwanda, and 4% other nationalities.
UNHCR Zimbabwe focuses on providing protection and finding durable solutions for refugees and asylum-seekers. Together with partners, the office in Harare and the one in Tongogara Refugee Camp work in the following areas:
- Food Security and Nutrition
- Shelter and Core Relief Items
- Water and Sanitation
- Access to Energy
- Durable Solutions
- Community Empowerment and Self-Reliance
- Prevention and Reduction of Statelessness
UNHCR Zimbabwe is grateful for the critical and generous support provided by donors who have contributed to UNHCR programmes with earmarked, softly earmarked and unearmarked funding.
For information about our work in Zimbabwe:
- For up-to-date information about our programmes and operations in Zimbabwe, including funding level and donor contributions, visit Global Focus, UNHCR's reporting portal.
- For legislation, case law and UNHCR policy relating to claims for international protection, visit Refworld.
UNHCR Operation in Zimbabwe
UNHCR Zimbabwe, Block 8 Arundel Office Park, Norfolk Road, Mt Pleasant, P.O Box 4565, Harare, Zimbabwe
P.O. Box 4565, Harare, Zimbabwe
+263 242 338891
GMT + 2
Monday: 8:00 - 17:00
Tuesday: 8:00 - 17:00
Wednesday: 8:00 - 17:00
Thursday: 8:00 - 17:00
Friday: 8:00 - 13:30