• Text size Normal size text | Increase text size by 10% | Increase text size by 20% | Increase text size by 30%

More Sierra Leonean refugees set to fly home from Nigeria

News Stories, 3 September 2002

© UNHCR/A.van Genderen Stort
The first group of Sierra Leonean returnees from Nigeria receives a warm welcome at the airport near Freetown.

LAGOS, Nigeria, September 3 (UNHCR) In a vote of confidence for their country's peace process, a second group of Sierra Leonean refugees in Nigeria started their journey home today under the auspices of the UN refugee agency.

On Tuesday, 48 Sierra Leoneans left Nigeria's Oru camp on a two-hour bus journey to the capital of Lagos, where they will stay overnight and undergo customs procedures at Hajj camp, near the airport. They will fly to Sierra Leone's capital of Freetown on Wednesday, joined by 15 urban refugees living in Lagos who had sought UNHCR's help to go home.

The group forms the second convoy of Sierra Leonean refugees returning from Nigeria since voluntary repatriation started on August 28, bringing the total number so far to 132. Some 270 out of the over 2,000 Sierra Leoneans who fled to Nigeria over the years have signed up to go home.

"The Lagos-Freetown airlift is part of a one-month operation that will see a total of 270 Sierra Leoneans repatriate in five weekly flights from Lagos," said Maggie Heraty, UNHCR's senior logistics officer. "Logistically speaking, this is a relatively easy operation with few people at a time, nothing like the bigger operations where we return many more people at once."

Landing at Lungi Airport near Freetown last Wednesday, the first group of returnees comprising mostly women and children was received by Sierra Leonean government officials, traditional paramount chiefs and staff from the UN refugee agency.

"It is wonderful to be home," wept Fatmata, carrying her baby and dragging her enormous bag off the plane. She was among the several thousand refugees who fled to Nigeria in 1997, when civil war was raging in Sierra Leone.

Fellow returnee Victor Johnson recalled his flight in 1997. "My wife wanted to stay to continue her little business while I checked out the conditions in Nigeria. We were in close contact until 1999 but since then, when the rebels came, I have not heard from her."

Though Johnson's house was burnt and his family's whereabouts were unknown, he believed that all would be fine when he arrived home. "After the recent elections, I believed that the time was finally ripe for return. I want to live in peace in my own land," he said.

Returnees have been grouped according to areas of origin, with the first two convoys originating mostly from Freetown. Three subsequent flights will transport returnees from other regions, including Bo, Kenema, Makeni and Koidu, in the interior of the country. The repatriation operation is set to be completed by September 25.

Each returnee family will receive a reintegration coupon entitling it to a two-month food ration provided by the UN World Food Programme, including 18 kg of cereals, 1.5 litre of oil and 7.5 kg of pulses. The reintegration kit also comprises three blankets and three sleeping mats as well as soaps, a jerry can, a kitchen set, a plastic sheet and a lantern per family.

Returnees from Freetown will receive their package at UNHCR office in Lungi as well as a secondary transport allowance of 15,000 leones ($7.50) to make their own way back home from the Lungi peninsula via ferry. Returnees from other parts of the country will be transported to Port Loko way station, where the same procedures will apply. If necessary, they will stay overnight in the Port Loko way station before continuing their journey.

All returnees will be vaccinated against measles before leaving Nigeria. They will also receive information notes about the general security situation inside Sierra Leone, as well as details of the education system for which UNHCR provides community-based assistance, through the provision of school buildings, furniture, and learning materials and school enrolment.

Since September 2000, the UN refugee agency has assisted 112,000 Sierra Leonean returnees to resettle at home. Most have returned from Liberia and Guinea, with smaller caseloads from Nigeria, Ghana, Mauritania, Guinea-Bissau and Côte d'Ivoire. In all, a total of 170,000 Sierra Leonean refugees are estimated to have returned, either through UNHCR-organised programmes or spontaneously from countries of asylum.




UNHCR country pages

Victims of Conflict in Nigeria Find Safety in Cameroon Camp

UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres visited Cameroon in late March to put a spotlight on the situation there of tens of thousands of refugees from Nigeria. These people have escaped mounting violence by insurgents in the north-east of their country. Among the places that Guterres visited during his March 24-25 visit is the Minawao Refugee Camp, where many of the uprooted have been relocated.

Situated some 120 kilometres from the dangerous border area with Nigeria in Cameroon's Far North region, Minawao camp is currently home to 33,000 Nigerian refugees, mainly from Borno state. Many of the arrivals are traumatized and in need of material and psycho-social help. They told the High Commissioner of losing their homes and belongings as well as members of their families. Some were injured. In total, an estimated 74,000 Nigerians have found refuge in Cameroon while cross-border incursions from Nigeria have displaced 96,000 Cameroonians. UNHCR photographer Hélène Caux also visited Minawao to hear the individual stories.

Victims of Conflict in Nigeria Find Safety in Cameroon Camp

Nigeria: The Casualties of Conflict

One year after the Nigerian government declared a state of emergency in the northern states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe, violence continues to displace people within Nigeria and to neighbouring Cameroon, Chad and Niger, including some 22,000 Nigerian refugees. Civilians trapped at home face recurrent attacks by insurgents, with a series of kidnappings and killings culminating in mid-April this year in the abduction of more than 200 girls from a school in Chibok, Borno.

UNHCR's Hélène Caux recently travelled to the region to meet with some of the 250,000 internally displaced, including students caught up in the violence. Those she spoke to told her about their fears, and the atrocities and suffering they had endured or witnessed. People spoke about their homes and fields being destroyed, grenade attacks on markets, the killing of friends and relatives, and arbitrary arrests. Uniting them is an overwhelming sense of terror. Caux found it a challenge to photograph people who live in constant fear of being attacked. "It was this delicate balance to try to achieve between featuring them, communicating their stories and protecting them," she said.

Nigeria: The Casualties of Conflict

Thousands Start Afresh in Niger After Fleeing Nigeria

In May 2013, the Nigerian government, responding to a surge in violence in the north-east of the country, declared a state of emergency in the volatile states of Borno, Adawama and Yobe. Many people fled to neighbouring Niger's Diffa region and to the Far North Region of Cameroon. Fresh violence in January this year has forced thousands more to flee to both countries. UNHCR photographer Hélène Caux visited the towns of Bosso and Diffa in Niger's Diffa region shortly before the latest influx. She met some of the Nigerian refugees who had fled earlier waves of violence across the border. They told her of the violence they had seen, the losses they had suffered and their attempts to lead as normal a life as possible in Diffa, including sending their children to attend school. They are grateful to the communities that have welcomed and helped them in Niger.

Thousands Start Afresh in Niger After Fleeing Nigeria

Cameroon: Escape from NigeriaPlay video

Cameroon: Escape from Nigeria

Attacks by Nigerian insurgents have spread to neighbouring countries in recent months, severely restricting the 'humanitarian space' aid organisations, like UNHCR, can operate in to help people made homeless by the unrest. The insurgents have also recently mounted a series of suicide attacks in Cameroon - the first such attacks in the country.
Italy: Syrian Family's New HopePlay video

Italy: Syrian Family's New Hope

An Italian rescue vessel saved some 450 people from the Mediterranean Sea. The boat they were on had set out from Egypt and the passengers included a Syrian family risking all after fleeing the war in their country.
Mediterranean Drownings: The High Commissioner's CommentsPlay video

Mediterranean Drownings: The High Commissioner's Comments

The High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres expressed shock at news from the Mediterranean that hundreds of people were missing after their boat sank and called anew for urgent action to prevent such tragedies in the future. The latest incident involves the capsizing of a double-deck boat on Monday in waters about 120 kilometers south of Italy's Lampedusa Island.