World Refugee Day 2004: Saudi Arabia
World Refugee Day, 20 June 2004
A national and regional campaign was organised and sponsored by the Foreign, Education and Defence Ministries. The function took place at the renowned King Abdulaziz Historical Centre in the heart of Riyadh. Some 20 journalists, representing local, regional and international press, covered the ceremony. This year's celebration included a 15-day poster and photo exhibition including 65 locally-made pictures on UNHCR's mandate, history, activities and accomplishments with a special focus on voluntary repatriation. The exhibition attracted a huge number of visitors. Press interviews also took place.
- UNHCR chief launches book on Islam's contributions to refugee law
- Saudi Red Crescent chief visits UNHCR
- UNHCR signs agreement with Saudi Red Crescent Society
- Small groups of Iraqis go home from Iran, Saudi Arabia
- Arab NGOs, UNHCR agree to boost co-operation