World Refugee Day 2007 National Activities: Kazakhstan
World Refugee Day, 20 June 2007
A countrywide contest was organized for the best stories on refugees in Kazakhstan to appear in the print and electronic media. UNHCR also organized an essay contest for students on the subject: "There are 1,900 refugee children in Kazakhstan. What can we do for them?" Prizes included a month-long internship with the UNHCR office and participation in a regional summer school on human rights.
A WRD ceremony was held in the Theatre of Young Spectators in Almaty. Winners of the competitions for journalists and students were announced. Refugee children who did well at school were given encyclopaedias and other books.
- Guterres wraps up fruitful first visit to Central Asia
- After generations away, Kazakhs come home to an independent country
- Helping Chechens back on their feet in Kazakhstan
- UNHCR welcomes Kazakhstan's release of Uzbek activist
- UNHCR opens office in Kazakh capital