Number of Somalis displaced in current wave of violence nears 120,000

News Stories, 9 June 2009

© UNHCR/E.Hockstein
A group of Somali women forced to flee their homes sit and ponder their future.

GENEVA, June 9 (UNHCR) The UN refugee agency on Tuesday condemned the victimization of Somali civilians in Mogadishu after a weekend spike in the fighting in the capital sent thousands more people fleeing the city. This latest exodus pushed the number of displaced from the capital past the 100,000-mark to 117,000 since street battles erupted on May 8.

"UNHCR is gravely concerned about the violence and the fact that it is further aggravating an already desperate humanitarian situation on the ground," UNHCR spokesman William Spindler told journalists in Geneva on Tuesday.

The fighting between government forces and the opposition Al-Shabaab and Hisb-ul-Islam groups in several north-west areas of Mogadishu left more than 200 people dead over the past month, mostly civilians, with hundreds of injured in local hospitals.

"The manner in which civilians are being victimized by this conflict is unacceptable. Parties to the conflict in Mogadishu are fighting with no regard for the safety of civilians in clear violation of international humanitarian and human rights principles," Spindler said. "UNHCR is appealing to the belligerents to guarantee the safety and security of the civilian population."

In Nairobi, UNHCR's Representative to Somalia Guillermo Bettocchi also urged the rival forces to respect the rights of civilians. "The suffering civilians are going through is unacceptable. All warring parties in this conflict should be reminded of their obligations under international humanitarian and human rights law to protect civilians, to refrain from indiscriminate attacks on civilians and to limit their attacks to military targets," he said.

The majority of the displaced are women and children, many fleeing with very few belongings, and having to endure extremely difficult circumstances. Women are particularly vulnerable. There are reports of rape and sexual exploitation during their flight and in places of refuge. These risks are exacerbated by the limited humanitarian assistance available.

A 21-year-old woman, carrying her baby in her arms after fleeing Mogadishu by bus, told staff from one of UNHCR's local partners that her husband had been killed in the latest fighting and she wanted to make her way across the Gulf of Aden to Yemen. "I didn't give money to the bus driver, but he used my body," she alleged, while adding: "I will never come back to Somalia."

Reports received from local NGO partners supporting a hospital in Mogadishu's Dayniile neighbourhood indicate that of the 218 wounded people treated in that hospital, 81 were women and children under the age of 14, including a six-month old baby.

Countless families have allegedly been separated due to the conflict. The events of May have worsened a pattern of indiscriminate violence that has seen at least 34 schools temporarily occupied by armed groups since the beginning of the year, and at least six schools raided or shelled in the last 12 months.

Reports also indicate that people desperate to flee are stuck in their homes for days without food or water, no access to basic services, waiting for a lull in the fighting to escape the city.

A hospital in the strategically important Yaaqshiid district of Mogadishu, fearing for the safety of its scarce medical staff, was forced to cease operations temporarily and thus limiting access to medical care for wounded civilians.

Due to the latest escalation, UNHCR was forced to put on hold the scheduled distribution of life-saving aid in the vicinity of a location called Kilometre 13, on the south-eastern outskirts of the Somali capital. During this phase the UN refugee agency had hoped to provide humanitarian assistance to almost 30,000 people, but the distribution was halted due to fighting between opposition groups and government forces for the control of the main road from Mogadishu to the Afgooye district.

UNHCR is leading a task force to coordinate the response and interventions of all humanitarian actors in this new emergency.

• DONATE NOW •

 

• GET INVOLVED • • STAY INFORMED •

UNHCR country pages

Flood Airdrop in Kenya

Over the weekend, UNHCR with the help of the US military began an emergency airdrop of some 200 tonnes of relief supplies for thousands of refugees badly hit by massive flooding in the Dadaab refugee camps in northern Kenya.

In a spectacular sight, 16 tonnes of plastic sheeting, mosquito nets, tents and blankets, were dropped on each run from the C-130 transport plane onto a site cleared of animals and people. Refugees loaded the supplies on trucks to take to the camps.

Dadaab, a three-camp complex hosting some 160,000 refugees, mainly from Somalia, has been cut off from the world for a month by heavy rains that washed away the road connecting the remote camps to the Kenyan capital, Nairobi. Air transport is the only way to get supplies into the camps.

UNHCR has moved 7,000 refugees from Ifo camp, worst affected by the flooding, to Hagadera camp, some 20 km away. A further 7,000 refugees have been moved to higher ground at a new site, called Ifo 2.

Posted in December 2006

Flood Airdrop in Kenya

New Arrivals in Yemen

During one six-day period at the end of March, more than 1,100 Somalis and Ethiopians arrived on the shores of Yemen after crossing the Gulf of Aden on smuggler's boats from Bosaso, Somalia. At least 28 people died during these recent voyages – from asphyxiation, beating or drowning – and many were badly injured by the smugglers. Others suffered skin problems as a result of prolonged contact with sea water, human waste, diesel oil and other chemicals.

During a recent visit to Yemen, UNHCR Assistant High Commissioner for Protection Erika Feller pledged to further raise the profile of the situation, to appeal for additional funding and international action to help Yemen, and to develop projects that will improve the living conditions and self sufficiency of the refugees in Yemen.

Since January 2006, Yemen has received nearly 30,000 people from Somalia, Ethiopia and other places, while more than 500 people have died during the sea crossing and at least 300 remain missing. UNHCR provides assistance, care and housing to more than 100,000 refugees already in Yemen.

New Arrivals in Yemen

The Gulf of Aden: Sharp Rise in Crossings and Deaths

The number of people arriving on the coast of Yemen after being smuggled across the treacherous Gulf of Aden from the Horn of Africa has more than doubled this year. So far this year, more than 18,000 people have arrived in Yemen across the Gulf of Aden, and nearly 400 have died attempting the journey.

This surge in arrivals is largely due to the continuing conflict in Somalia and the use of new smuggling routes from Somalia to Yemen and across the Red Sea from Djibouti. Many of the new arrivals also tell of crop losses due to drought, which forced them to leave home. This photo set focuses on those people leaving from Djibouti.

UNHCR has been calling for increased action to save lives in the Gulf of Aden and other waters. We have stepped up our work in Yemen under a US$17 million operation that includes extra staff, provision of additional shelter and assistance, and protection for refugees and internally displaced people.

Posted on 20 May 2008

The Gulf of Aden: Sharp Rise in Crossings and Deaths

Somalia: UN High Commissioner For Refugees In MogadishuPlay video

Somalia: UN High Commissioner For Refugees In Mogadishu

UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres visits Mogadishu, expresses solidarity with Somali people on eve of Ramadan.
Somalia: Solutions For Somali RefugeesPlay video

Somalia: Solutions For Somali Refugees

In Kenya, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, António Guterres discusses solutions for Somali refugees.
Somalia: Saving LivesPlay video

Somalia: Saving Lives

Donor support for a specialized maternity-child clinic helps save the lives of displaced Somali mothers.