Concern mounts for civilians targeted in North Kivu violence

News Stories, 1 June 2012

© UNHCR/S.Modola
Internally displaced Congolese wait in line earlier this month to receive aid at the Mugunga site near Goma, North Kivu.

GOMA, Democratic Republic of the Congo, June 1 (UNHCR) The UN refugee agency on Friday expressed concern about civilians targeted in fighting that has displaced more than 100,000 people in eastern Congo since April and joined calls on the authorities to do more to protect the population.

"We urge all parties to the conflict to respect the rights of civilians as well as their obligations under humanitarian law," Stefano Severe, UNHCR's regional representative in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, was quoted as saying in a joint press release issued by UNHCR, sister UN organizations and other international aid agencies working in the east.

He said it was "imperative that armed actors put an end to the exactions of their members against civilian populations" and added that the different sides should also "allow humanitarian access to the United Nations agencies and NGOs, whose mandate is to provide protection and assistance to civilians."

The Congolese army has been engaged in fierce stop-start fighting in North Kivu province against renegade soldiers loyal to former rebel commander Bosco Ntaganda, forcing civilians to flee for their lives. Ntaganda is also wanted by the International Criminal Court for alleged war crimes.

On Thursday, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that as a result of this wave of violence, an estimated 74,000 people have been displaced in North Kivu's Masisi, Walikale and Rutshuru territories, several thousand more have moved to or near the provincial capital Goma and some 33,000 had found shelter in neighbouring South Kivu province. Thousands have also fled to Uganda and Rwanda.

Friday's press release, issued by the UNHCR-coordinated protection cluster, expressed alarm at the resurgence in violence, which comes three years after a peace accord for the east between the government and rival armed groups.

"The attacks of the past month have clearly marked a deterioration in the protection of civilians", said Alain Homsy, country director of the Norwegian Refugee Council, a protection cluster member. "Local communities feel increasingly vulnerable to attacks."

The statement noted that defections from the Congolese army, together with the redeployment of troops to the combat zones in North Kivu, had created a security vacuum in several areas, leaving civilians at the mercy of armed groups. "Civilians are increasingly being targeted by all parties to the conflict, and are often victims of reprisals for their supposed links with enemy groups or the Congolese army," it said.

The members of the protection cluster said villages were constantly the target of new raids and there were many victims of murder, violence and looting. "Members of the protection cluster have also observed an increase in the number of children being recruited by armed groups to become soldiers, as well as numerous cases of sexual violence committed by members of the armed groups and the Congolese army. Even in areas where they have fled to find safety, civilians are still facing forced labour, extortion, looting and pressure by armed groups to return to their home areas."

The press statement specifically called on the DRC government "to make all necessary efforts to ensure the protection of its population." It said the presence of trained and equipped army and police units were essential to ensuring the security of civilians during and after the military operations.

UNHCR's Severe, however, welcomed a recent initiative by the Congolese authorities to organize an inter-community dialogue to restore peace in the east. He said the refugee agency encourages such dialogue.

The joint press statement also said that MONUSCO (United Nations Mission for the Stabilization of Congo), the UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC, had a crucial role to play in the east. "MONUSCO, including its armed units, should retain its mandate and all of its capacity to continue and reinforce protection measures, as well as respond to the civilian population's need for security."

• DONATE NOW •

 

• GET INVOLVED • • STAY INFORMED •

Internally Displaced People

The internally displaced seek safety in other parts of their country, where they need help.

DR Congo Crisis: Urgent Appeal

Intense fighting has forced more than 64,000 Congolese to flee the country in recent months.

Donate to this crisis

Related Internet Links

UNHCR is not responsible for the content and availability of external internet sites

Displaced by Fresh Fighting in North Kivu

Waves of fighting in eastern Democratic of the Republic since late April have displaced tens of thousands of people. Many have become internally displaced within the province, while others have fled to south-west Uganda's Kisoro district or to Rwanda via the Goma-Gisenyi crossing.

The stop-start clashes between government forces and renegade soldiers loyal to former rebel commander Bosco Ntaganda began in the province's Masisi and Walikale territories, but subsequently shifted to Rutshuru territory, which borders Uganda.

Between May 10-20, one of UNHCR's local NGO partners registered more than 40,000 internally displaced people (IDP) in Jomba and Bwesa sectors.

The IDPs are living in difficult conditions, staying in school buildings and churches or with host families. They lack food and shelter and have limited access to health facilities. Some of the displaced have reported cases of extortion, forced labour, beatings and recruitment of minors to fight.

UNHCR and other major aid organizations plan to distribute food, medicine and other aid. More than 300,000 people have been forcibly displaced in North and South Kivu since the start of the year, according to UN figures.

Displaced by Fresh Fighting in North Kivu

Displaced in North Kivu: A Life on the Run

Fighting rages on in various parts of the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), with seemingly no end in sight for hundreds of thousands of Congolese forced to flee violence and instability over the past two years. The ebb and flow of conflict has left many people constantly on the move, while many families have been separated. At least 1 million people are displaced in North Kivu, the hardest hit province. After years of conflict, more than 1,000 people still die every day - mostly of hunger and treatable diseases. In some areas, two out of three women have been raped. Abductions persist and children are forcefully recruited to fight. Outbreaks of cholera and other diseases have increased as the situation deteriorates and humanitarian agencies struggle to respond to the needs of the displaced.

When the displacement crisis worsened in North Kivu in 2007, the UN refugee agency sent emergency teams to the area and set up operations in several camps for internally displaced people (IDPs). Assistance efforts have also included registering displaced people and distributing non-food aid. UNHCR carries out protection monitoring to identify human rights abuses and other problems faced by IDPs in North and South Kivu.

Displaced in North Kivu: A Life on the Run

Displaced inside Syria: UNHCR and its Dedicated Staff help the Needy

The violence inside Syria continues to drive people from their homes, with some seeking shelter elsewhere in their country and others risking the crossing into neighbouring countries. The United Nations estimates that up to 4 million people are in need of help, including some 2 million believed to be internally displaced.

The UN refugee agency has 350 staff working inside Syria. Despite the insecurity, they continue to distribute vital assistance in the cities of Damascus, Aleppo, Al Hassakeh and Homs. Thanks to their work and dedication, more than 350,000 people have received non-food items such as blankets, kitchen sets and mattresses. These are essential items for people who often flee their homes with no more than the clothes on their backs. Cash assistance has been given to more than 10,600 vulnerable Syrian families.

Displaced inside Syria: UNHCR and its Dedicated Staff help the Needy

Iraq: Preparing for Winter in DohukPlay video

Iraq: Preparing for Winter in Dohuk

Efforts are under way in Syria, Iraq and neighbouring countries to prepare refugees and the internally displaced for winter. But UNHCR remains deeply concerned that a $58.45 million funding shortfall could leave as many as a million people out in the cold.
Displaced women sew up a future in Kachin campPlay video

Displaced women sew up a future in Kachin camp

Conflict in Myanmar's Kachin state has displaced tens of thousands. In the town of Laiza, UNHCR is helping women in Hpun Lum Yang camp to learn tailoring skills as part of a pilot project to foster cohesion among IDP women in the camp and help them find solutions for the practical problems they and their community face.
Iraq: The Generous GiverPlay video

Iraq: The Generous Giver

An estimated 1.8 million Iraqis have been internally displaced since the beginning of the year, with nearly half seeking refuge in the Kurdistan Region. As weary families began pouring into Dohuk, one local businessman built them a small camp equipped with tents, water, sanitation and electricity.