Joint Assessment Missions (JAM)
Operational publications, August 2013
The JAM Practical Guide has been developed to ensure timely planning and to facilitate the overall process of conducting joint UNHCR/WFP assessment missions. Together with the annexes, it outlines the process and tools required to conduct a JAM. The JAM Practical Guide is a condensed update of the JAM guidelines published in 2008, based on feedback by users. It emphasizes the process and design of a JAM with renewed focus on food security and nutrition.
The package includes three documents:
- Joint Assessment Missions – a Practical Guide to Planning and Implementation outlines the standard JAM process and methodology. It provides practical guidance on how to implement each step of a JAM in a brief 45-page step-wise guidance. It also includes practical tools, such as proposed JAM team structures, detailed JAM timeline, templates for and examples of JAM Terms of References, Joint Plan of Action and report, as well as tools to facilitate data collection and analysis.
- Joint Assessment Missions – Technical Guidance Sheets provide additional guidance on selected technical issues. These include: Refugees in urban areas; Market analysis; Protection; Transfer modalities; Environment and energy; Planning for general food aid rations; and Logistics and storage in food aid distributions.
- Joint Assessment Missions – Rapid JAM outlines an abbreviated and rapid JAM methodology, to be used notably when a rapid assessment has to be carried out as a response to a new emergency and/or a new influx of refugees. It also includes a check list of questions and information normally collected in a Rapid JAM.
- Joint Assessment Missions – a Practical Guide to Planning and Implementation
- Joint Assessment Missions – Technical Guidance Sheets
- Joint Assessment Missions – Rapid JAM
Unzip the files below on your local drive to get all the links mentioned in the JAM documents: