Deadly attacks reported in Nigeria's Lake Chad region, more people fleeing

Briefing Notes, 11 March 2014

This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson Adrian Edwards to whom quoted text may be attributed at the press briefing, on 11 March 2014, at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.

UNHCR is increasingly alarmed at the humanitarian impact of the violence in north-eastern Nigeria. Newly-arriving refugees interviewed by our staff in Niger have spoken of atrocities on the islands and shores of Lake Chad in Nigeria's northeast Borno State. One woman described corpses strewn through houses and floating in the water. She said people feared staying even to bury their dead or find missing relatives. Others recounted fleeing a village shooting incident and said women and children were being kidnapped and taken away by unidentified assailants.

The latest attacks are reported to have begun in mid-February and were continuing five days ago. In all some 2000 people have crossed into southeast Niger's Diffa region over the past four weeks according to our partner, the International Rescue Committee (IRC). In addition to the attacks on Lake Chad, some of the newly arriving refugees have come from areas near Borno's state capital Maiduguri affected by fighting.

UNHCR reiterates to all parties to the conflict in northeastern Nigeria the vital importance of protecting civilians from harm. The ongoing insurgency in the three northeastern Nigerian states of Yobe, Adamawa and Borno has already displaced more than 470,000 people inside Nigeria. Refugees arriving in neighboring Cameroon, Chad, and Niger are in addition to this.

Since Nigeria declared a state of emergency in May 2013 in Adamawa, Yobe and Borno states, more than 57,000 people have fled into neighbouring Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. Some 17,000 of these are registered Nigerian refugees. The rest are nationals of the surrounding countries who were had been living in Nigeria for decades.

Niger has received the majority some 40,000 concentrated in the Diffa region, a desert in the country's eastern edge.

UNHCR is grateful to the government of Niger for its Open Door policies towards the forcibly displaced from Nigeria and to the local population sharing their meagre resources with an ever increasing number of refugees.

For more information on this topic, please contact:

  • In Dakar: Helene Caux (Regional) on mobile + 221 77 333 1291
  • In Geneva: Adrian Edwards on mobile +41 79 557 9120
  • In Geneva: Fatoumata Lejeune-Kaba on mobile +41 79 249 3483
• DONATE NOW •

 

• GET INVOLVED • • STAY INFORMED •

UNHCR country pages

Victims of Conflict in Nigeria Find Safety in Cameroon Camp

UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres visited Cameroon in late March to put a spotlight on the situation there of tens of thousands of refugees from Nigeria. These people have escaped mounting violence by insurgents in the north-east of their country. Among the places that Guterres visited during his March 24-25 visit is the Minawao Refugee Camp, where many of the uprooted have been relocated.

Situated some 120 kilometres from the dangerous border area with Nigeria in Cameroon's Far North region, Minawao camp is currently home to 33,000 Nigerian refugees, mainly from Borno state. Many of the arrivals are traumatized and in need of material and psycho-social help. They told the High Commissioner of losing their homes and belongings as well as members of their families. Some were injured. In total, an estimated 74,000 Nigerians have found refuge in Cameroon while cross-border incursions from Nigeria have displaced 96,000 Cameroonians. UNHCR photographer Hélène Caux also visited Minawao to hear the individual stories.

Victims of Conflict in Nigeria Find Safety in Cameroon Camp

Nigeria: The Casualties of Conflict

One year after the Nigerian government declared a state of emergency in the northern states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe, violence continues to displace people within Nigeria and to neighbouring Cameroon, Chad and Niger, including some 22,000 Nigerian refugees. Civilians trapped at home face recurrent attacks by insurgents, with a series of kidnappings and killings culminating in mid-April this year in the abduction of more than 200 girls from a school in Chibok, Borno.

UNHCR's Hélène Caux recently travelled to the region to meet with some of the 250,000 internally displaced, including students caught up in the violence. Those she spoke to told her about their fears, and the atrocities and suffering they had endured or witnessed. People spoke about their homes and fields being destroyed, grenade attacks on markets, the killing of friends and relatives, and arbitrary arrests. Uniting them is an overwhelming sense of terror. Caux found it a challenge to photograph people who live in constant fear of being attacked. "It was this delicate balance to try to achieve between featuring them, communicating their stories and protecting them," she said.

Nigeria: The Casualties of Conflict

Thousands Start Afresh in Niger After Fleeing Nigeria

In May 2013, the Nigerian government, responding to a surge in violence in the north-east of the country, declared a state of emergency in the volatile states of Borno, Adawama and Yobe. Many people fled to neighbouring Niger's Diffa region and to the Far North Region of Cameroon. Fresh violence in January this year has forced thousands more to flee to both countries. UNHCR photographer Hélène Caux visited the towns of Bosso and Diffa in Niger's Diffa region shortly before the latest influx. She met some of the Nigerian refugees who had fled earlier waves of violence across the border. They told her of the violence they had seen, the losses they had suffered and their attempts to lead as normal a life as possible in Diffa, including sending their children to attend school. They are grateful to the communities that have welcomed and helped them in Niger.

Thousands Start Afresh in Niger After Fleeing Nigeria

Italy: Syrian Family's New HopePlay video

Italy: Syrian Family's New Hope

An Italian rescue vessel saved some 450 people from the Mediterranean Sea. The boat they were on had set out from Egypt and the passengers included a Syrian family risking all after fleeing the war in their country.
Mediterranean Drownings: The High Commissioner's CommentsPlay video

Mediterranean Drownings: The High Commissioner's Comments

The High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres expressed shock at news from the Mediterranean that hundreds of people were missing after their boat sank and called anew for urgent action to prevent such tragedies in the future. The latest incident involves the capsizing of a double-deck boat on Monday in waters about 120 kilometers south of Italy's Lampedusa Island.
Italy: New Arrivals in LampedusaPlay video

Italy: New Arrivals in Lampedusa

The influx of refugees and migrants into Italy continues with new boats arriving on daily basis. In the last two weeks, over 13,000 people have been rescued at sea. Early on Friday morning, a dinghy carrying 60-70 people from sub-Saharan Africa was rescued by an Italian boat and taken to the island of Lampedusa.