Evaluation and Research
Policy Development and Evaluation
UNHCR's Policy Development and Evaluation Service, or PDES, is committed to the systematic analysis and assessment of UNHCR projects, programmes, practices and policies. PDES also promotes research on refugee, humanitarian and migration issues and encourages an active exchange of ideas and information between humanitarian practitioners, policymakers and the academic community. PDES welcomes your comments and questions on all aspects of its work and is also pleased to receive expressions of interest from suitably qualified consultants and interns. The unit can be reached at: E-mail PDES.
A Four Country Study of Safe Havens for the Displaced
The following links will bring you to the reports from a survey of SGBV “safe shelters” for displaced persons in four countries: Kenya, Thailand, Colombia and Haiti. The in-country research explored various models of shelters for survivors of SGBV in humanitarian settings and the challenges and strategies relevant to providing this type of shelter. Residents and staff as well as other key informants were interviewed at thirty-seven shelters throughout the four countries.
The research was conducted by the Sexual Violence Program at the Human Rights Center, the Law School of the University of California, Berkeley. UNHCR’s PDES provided logistical support to the research team and sponsored the publication of this study.
The first report is a comparison of the four locations. The following reports are studies from each country:
- An Independent Review of UNHCR's Response to the Somali Refugee Influx in Dollo Ado, Ethiopia.
- Recommendations of the independant review of UNHCR's response to the Somali refugee influx in Dolo Ado, Ethiopia. UNHCR's management response.
- UNHCR's Mental Health and Psychosocial Support for Persons of Concern.
- The Implementation of UNHCR's Policy on Refugee Protection and Solutions in Urban Areas. Global Survey – 2012. MaryBeth Morand, Katherine Mahoney with Shaula Bellour and Janice Rabkin
- Leaving Libya. A review of UNHCR's emergency operation in Tunisia and Egypt, 2011-2012. Guido Ambroso, Mike Collyer, Angela Li Rosi
- Refugees and the Rashaida: human smuggling and trafficking from Eritrea to Sudan and Egypt. Rachel Humphris
- Refugee resettlement: 2012 and beyond. Margaret Piper, Paul Power, Dr Graham Thom
- Seeing migrants, selecting refugees: a historical study of Chinese settlement in Canada and New Zealand. Laura Madokoro
- Feeling like an outsider: a case study of refugee identity in the Czech Republic. Kari Burnett
- A responsibility to protect: UNHCR and statelessness in Egypt. Eirwen-Jane Pierrot
A collection of UNHCR policy statements on key global and thematic issues.
- UNHCR Age, Gender and Diversity Policy: Working with people and communities for equality and protection
- UNHCR Action to Address Statelessness - A Strategy Note
- UNHCR policy on refugee protection and solutions in urban areas
- UNHCR Policy Paper: Climate change, natural disasters and human displacement: a UNHCR perspective
- UNHCR's Role in Support of the Return and Reintegration of Displaced Populations: Policy Framework and Implementation Strategy
A wide-ranging collection of UNHCR documents on the issue of protracted refugee situations.