Preparing for an emergency involves risk monitoring, scenario-based contingency planning, and establishing how to deliver assistance and protection. During times of crisis, UNHCR uses this knowledge to co-lead the inter-agency response, while acting under the overall leadership of the host government.
Our Refugee Coordination Model promotes best practice in order to make refugee coordination more predictable, inclusive and collaborative. It also helps other humanitarian actors working in refugee operations, leading to better protection, assistance and durable solutions for refugees. To find out more about how we coordinate agile, effective and community-based humanitarian emergency responses, you can read the UNHCR Emergency Handbook.
A reference tool which serves to reinforce a common understanding among the many key actors in emergency situations.
Adaptation of UNHCR's refugee coordination in the context of the Transformative Agenda
Coordination in practice
Information brochure about UNHCR's Global Emergency Stockpile located in Dubai.
UNHCR Emergency Response Planning
- UNHCR Global Appeal 2017 Update - Responding to emergencies Dec 2016
- UNHCR Global Appeal 2016-2017 - Responding to emergencies 1 Dec 2015
- UNHCR Global Appeal 2015 Update - Responding to emergencies 1 Dec 2014
UNHCR Reporting on Emergency Response
- UNHCR Global Report 2016 - Responding with lifesaving support Jun 2017
- UNHCR Global Report 2015 - Responding with lifesaving support 1 Jun 2016
- UNHCR Global Report 2014 - Responding to emergencies 1 Jun 2015