Protection Training Materials
- 1. Europe: A Region of Migration and Protection. Annex 13 - Schengen Borders Code 2011
- 1. Europe: A Region of Migration and Protection. Annex 16 - Council Directive on the Residence Permit Issued to Third-Country Nationals Who Are Victims of Trafficking in Human Beings or who Have Been the Subject of an Action to Facilitate Illegal Immigration, who Cooperate with the Competent Authorities 2011
- 1. Europe: A Region of Migration and Protection. Annex 21 - Council Directive Defining the Facilitation of Unauthorised Entry, Transit and Residence 2011
Statements by the Assistant High Commissioner for Protection
- 84th Meeting of the Standing Committee of the Executive Committee of the High Commissioner's Programme - Opening Remarks by Ms. Gillian Triggs Assistant High Commissioner for Protection 28 Jun 2022
- Opening remarks by the Assistant High Commissioner for Protection UN Network on Migration Briefing to Member States Commissioner's Programme 19 Oct 2021
- Address of UNHCR Assistant High Commissioner for Protection, Gillian Triggs, to European Asylum Support Office 10th Anniversary Conference 14 Oct 2021
Speeches by the Director of International Protection
- Global Forum on Statelessness, The Hague, 15-17 September 2014 - Ending Statelessness: An Imperative for the 21st Century, Keynote Address by Volker Türk, Director of International Protection 15 Sep 2014
- Speech at the 60th Meeting of the Standing Committee, 1 July 2014. Volker Türk, Director, Division of International Protection 1 Jul 2014
- Remarks by Volker Türk, Director of International Protection, at the International Conference on Migration and Statelessness, 23-24 June 2014, Ashgabat, Turkmenistan 23 Jun 2014
Selected Refugee Policy Documents
- Guidelines on Policies and Procedures in Dealing with Unaccompanied Children Seeking Asylum 1 Feb 1997
- Sexual Violence Against Refugees: Guidelines on Prevention and Response (UNHCR) 1 Mar 1995
- UNHCR's Operational Experience With Internally Displaced Persons 1 Sep 1994
UNHCR Handbooks and Guides
The "Handbook on Procedures and Criteria for Determining Refugee Status" with its complementary Guidelines, and other handbooks and guides for partners.
- Practical Guidance for UNHCR Staff on IDP Protection in the Context of Disasters and the Adverse Effects of Climate Change Oct 2021
- Your Guide to Protection Care Management Oct 2021
- Handbook on Procedures and Criteria for Determining Refugee Status under the 1951 Convention and the 1967 Protocol relating to the Status of Refugees Feb 2019
Compilations and Commentaries
The "Thematic Compilation of Executive Committee Conclusions", the Grahl-Madsen Commentary on the Refugee Convention and others.
- A Thematic Compilation of Executive Committee Conclusions (7th edition) Jun 2014
- Refugee Protection and Human Trafficking: Selected Legal Reference Materials, First Edition 1 Dec 2008
- Collection of International Instruments and Legal Texts Concerning Refugees and Others of Concern to UNHCR<br><em>(June 2007)</em> 1 Jun 2007
- UNHCR Resettlement Needs, Complementary Pathways, and Key Priorities for 2023: Summary of UNHCR Recommendations to the European Union 1 Jul 2022
- UNHCR Resettlement Needs, Complementary Pathways, and Key Priorities for 2022: Summary of UNHCR Recommendations to the European Union 9 Jul 2021
- UNHCR Updated Recommendations to the European Union - EU Multiannual Financial Framework 2021-2027 31 Aug 2020
This report provides an analysis of data on the implementation of the AGD Policy since its release in March 2018. It outlines the progress made against the areas of engagement and 10 minimum core actions set forth by the policy, and provides examples from operations across all regions on AGD inclusive programming, accountability to affected people (AAP) and gender equality (GE).
UNHCR Reporting on Protection
- 2015 Global Child Protection, Education and SGBV Strategy Implementation Report 30 Jun 2015
- UNHCR Global Report 2014 - Ensuring protection for people of concern 1 Jun 2015
- UNHCR Global Report 2013 - Ensuring protection for people of concern 1 Jun 2014
UNHCR Planning on Protection
- UNHCR Global Appeal 2016-2017 - Ensuring protection 1 Dec 2015
- UNHCR Global Appeal 2015 Update - Ensuring protection for people of concern 1 Dec 2014
- UNHCR Global Appeal 2014-2015 - Ensuring protection for people of concern 1 Dec 2013
Notes on International Protection
UNHCR's annual reporting to ExCom and the General Assembly on international protection developments.
- Note on international protection, Executive Committee, 64th session 3 Jul 2013
- Note on international protection, Executive Committee, 63rd session 4 Jul 2012
- Note on international protection, Executive Committee, 62nd session 28 Jun 2011
Outcome of the June 2004 regional parliamentary conference held in Cotonou, Benin, and coorganized by the African Parliamentary Union and UNHCR, in association with the Inter-Parliamentary Union and ICRC.
UNHCR's key reference tool on global resettlement policy and practice.
A series of legal research and protection policy papers issued by the UNHCR Division of International Protection.
This Handbook describes some of the protection challenges faced by women and girls of concern to UNHCR and outlines various strategies to be adopted with partners to tackle these challenges.
First edition, published January 2008
Sexual and Gender-based Violence against Refugees, Returnees and Internally Displaced Persons - Guidelines for Prevention and Response
Guidelines offering practical advice on how to design strategies.
The Protection Manual is our repository of protection policy and guidance, gathering around 1,000 publications that range from the 1951 UN Refugee Convention to the latest UNHCR policy positions.
Edited by Erika Feller, Volker Türk and Frances Nicholson, published 2003 by Cambridge University Press
This handbook aims to provide legal and operational guidance to human rights, humanitarian and development actors involved in protection efforts on behalf of internally displaced people and other affected populations in complex emergencies.