National Activity Plan 2005: United Kingdom
20 June 2005
- 20-26 June, Refugee Week: Focusing on persecution as a root cause of refugee movements. For further information please visit www.refugeeweek.org.uk.
- 19 June, Celebrating Sanctuary at Gabriel's Wharf: Launch of Refugee Week in London. Opportunity to meet refugee and asylum-seeking artists, dancers and story tellers. Food and items available at various stalls and booths, including a UNHCR stall. Free entrance.
- 24-26 June, Glastonbury. Somerset: UNHCR stall focuses on the courage it takes to be a refugee by raising awareness of the actual and emotional journeys people must take. Divided between "Courage to leave there" and "Courage to be here", interactive activities for all ages tap into Glasto-goers' creative sides while encouraging empathy with refugees and asylum seekers.
- 13-24 June, Refugee Children's Perspectives, Horniman Museum: Exhibition with paintings and drawings by Myanmar's refugee children living in Thailand. Free entrance.
- 13-24 June, Minority Persecution, Harmony House: Three parallel exhibitions on women, children and Darfur. A UNHCR speaker will participate. Free entrance.
- 21 July: Local Press Awards for Refugee and Asylum Seeker coverage, in partnership with Mayor of London and National Union of Journalists.
- To find out more on these events, visit www.unhcr.org.uk.
- To find out more on WRD week events in Scotland, go to www.refugeeweekinscotland.org.uk.