National Activity Plan 2006: Ghana
20 June 2006
- To sensitise the general public on refugee issues and create awareness of UNHCR and its work, UNHCR Ghana is organising a mini-film festival (films/documentaries) The films will be shown at various venues in Accra throughout the month of June.
- A total of 25 banners bearing the theme of World Refugee Day ("Hope") will be hung at heavy traffic points in the Greater Accra Region, the Volta Region as well as the Central and Western Regions.
- UNHCR staff will give interviews and answer questions on refugee issues on various radio and TV shows in the week leading up to World Refugee Day.
- An evening of performances and keynote speakers will take place at La-Palm Hotel and will include government officials, members of the diplomatic corps, implementing partner organisations, representatives of the refugee community and the media.
- Activities at the various refugee settlements will include grand durbars with speeches, dance and musical activities by refugee groups, a visiting musician from Liberia, quiz competitions for school children, an evening of religious exaltation for Muslim and Christian communities, a camp clean-up day, and several football matches.