National Activity Plan 2006: Lebanon
20 June 2006
© © UNHCR/G.Jusnes
- On 20 June (11 am) at the American University of Beirut, an event commemorating World Refugee Day will take place. The event will start with a series of speeches given by UNHCR representatives, NGOs, refugees and the General Security Representative. The speeches will be followed by a theatre play presented by adults and children. This event will include music, dancing and artistic work.
- An exhibition of children's and adults arts and crafts will be held at the American University of Beirut on 20 June from 10: 00 am to 6: 30 pm.
- On 23 June (8: 00 pm) at the UNESCO palace, speeches will be given by the Minister of Culture and a UNHCR representative.
- To increase visibility and raise funds, a concert giving by Charbel Rouhana & Band will take place on 23 June (after the speeches) at the UNESCO palace. The income will be used in support of some refugee projects implemented by local NGOs in Lebanon.
- To raise awareness and enhance tolerance, students will be invited to write articles on refugees. The best text will receive a prize from UNHCR.
- On 10 June, games and activities will be organized in collaboration with the Danish Refugee Council at the UNHCR/MECC community centre. Games will include paintings, a puppet show and much more.
- In collaboration with the Danish Refugee Council, "It's my right" game sessions will be organized in different areas.
- 21 June (Ain Meriesseh area from 10 am - 12 pm).
- 22 June (Sanayeh garden from 10 am - 12 pm).
- 27-29 June (Roumieh Detention Centre).
- On 22 June (10am-12pm),a theatre event will take place at the Daughters of Charity, Assine, Achrafieh. It will include cultural dances and artistic works by refugees from Iraq, Sudan and other countries.
- On 20 June, at the General Security Retention Centre, several detainees will be shown refugee related films. Afterwards, they will issue newsletters with regards to World Refugee Day.
- On 21 June at the Roumieh Detention centre a "who is a refugee" training session for internal security forces will be organized.
- On 25 June (4-8 pm), speeches, a theatre play and an exhibition will take place in Ghobeireh Municipality.