National Activity Plan 2006: Spain
20 June 2006
- To show the impact of donors' contributions to UNHCR refugee operations and the importance of international protection for refugees, a ceremony at the Parliament of the Autonomous community of Valencia, with the presence of the President of the Regional Government, the Director General for Cooperation in Valencia, testimonies from field staff in UNHCR's operations financed by the regional government of Valencia; Refugees in Spain, academics, BOs, Rep. and NGOs (20 June, date to be confirmed) will take place.
- A Barbara Hendricks concert will be held at the Palau de la Música of Valencia (date to be confirmed).
- Photo exhibition on a Liberian girl, Matu, who returns to her country after being exiled in Sierra Leone for a long time. The second part of the exhibition "La mirada de Matu", by Edu Compte will take place at the Palau de la Música de Valencia for 4 weeks (end May - 21 June).
- Roving photo exhibition "Los hijos del Desconsuelo" on forgotten conflicts that will rotate from May to October throughout the different provinces of the Autonomous community of Valencia.
- Round Table to be held at the Refugee Reception Centre of Mislata - Valencia with the participation of UNHCR field staff working in repatriation operations in Africa.
- A round table will also be organized with the participation of the UNHCR Spain Representative. During this event, they will talk about forgotten conflicts will be discussed.
- Launching of new education material to schools and scouts groups in Spain, in order to educate children about "Young Refugees".
- Photo exhibitions, live music, refugee-Spaniards joint activities at Refugee Reception Centres and round tables on young refugee issues, all over Spain.
- From 20 June, the Spanish train company called RENFE will distribute 5,000 books for children, aged 6-8 years old. The book deal with discrimination and integration and the bookmark is on WRD. A simple text explaining why the event is celebrated, accompanied by pictures has been prepared.
- A new Juanes radio spot has been recorded this year thanks to the collaboration of Washington colleagues, who met Juanes and it has been fixed by a Spanish radio channel. The spot will be used within Spain, Latin American countries and USA-Spanish programmes, UN radio included.