Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
34. RESOLUTIONS ADOPTED ON THE REPORTS OF THE THIRD COMMITTEE
60. Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
The General Assembly,
Having considered the report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees on the activities of his Office,1 as well as the report of the Executive Committee of the Programme of the High Commissioner on its thirtieth session,2 and having heard the High Commissioner's statement,3
Recalling its resolution 33/26 of 29 November 1978,
Reaffirming the eminently humanitarian character of the activities of the High Commissioner for the benefit of an increasing number of refugees and displaced persons of concern to his Office,
Noting with deep concern the continued gravity of the problems of refugees and displaced persons in various parts of the world,
Commending Governments for their humanitarian approach to refugee problems, for the spirit in which they have received refugees and for their generous support of the work of the High Commissioner,
Emphasizing the continuing need to ensure the basic human rights, protection and safety of refugees, inter alia, through the accession to and more effective implementation of relevant international instruments,
Noting that increased financial and other support from Governments is urgently needed to assist the High Commissioner in his efforts to provide vital humanitarian assistance, especially through voluntary repatriation, local integration and resettlement,
Welcoming the conclusions and achievements of the Conference on the Situation of Refugees in Africa, held at Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania, from 7 to 17 May 1979, and further welcoming the request to translate the principle of "burden sharing" into action,
Noting with satisfaction the practical results in terms of additional resettlement places and financial contributions thus far achieved as a consequence of the Meeting on Refugees and Displaced Persons in South-East Asia, convened by the Secretary-General and held at Geneva on 20 and 21 July 1979,
1. Commends the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and his staff for the efficient manner in which they continue to discharge their many responsibilities in assisting refugees and displaced persons;
2. Requests the High Commissioner to continue to promote, in close co-operation with Governments, the United Nations system and non-governmental organizations, durable and speedy solutions to problems of refugees and displaced persons wherever they occur;
3. Urges Governments to intensify their support for the humanitarian activities of the High Commissioner by, among other things:
(a) Facilitating the accomplishment of his tasks in the field of international protection, in particular by granting asylum to those seeking refuge and by scrupulously observing the principle of non-refoulement;
(c) Facilitating his efforts to promote durable solutions through voluntary repatriation or return and assistance in the rehabilitation of persons returning to their countries, integration in countries of asylum or resettlement in other countries;
4. Further urges Governments:
(a) To strengthen their support for the High Commissioner's efforts on behalf of refugees and displaced persons;
(b) To provide increased opportunities for durable solutions to the problems of refugees and displaced persons, in particular those who are in Africa, Asia and Latin America;
5. Calls upon Governments to continue to contribute generously towards the financing of the High Commissioner's activities in order to attain the objectives of his humanitarian programmes.
82nd plenary meeting
29 November 1979
1 Official Records of the General Assembly, Thirty-fourth Session, Supplement No. 12 (A/34/12).
2 Ibid., Supplement No. 12A (A/34/Add.1).
3 Ibid., Thirty-fourth Session, Third Committee, 42nd meeting, paras. 1-13.
4 United Nations, Treaty Series, vol. 189, No. 2545, p. 150.
5 Ibid., vol. 606, No. 8791, p. 267.