Unit plan for ages 15-18 in Civic Education: Refugee Women and Girls
- To understand that women and girls of all cultures and from all nationalities have the same basic human rights to shelter, food and safety, and also to dignity, self-sufficiency and self-determination
- To realise the plight of refugee women and girls which includes the denial of these basic rights
- To comprehend the various difficulties which they have to face in their daily lives, identifying what are the contributory causes of these difficulties
- To see that refugees, especially women and girls need protection
- To understand the concept of empowerment
- To be aware of unconscious sexism and stereotyping, i.e. perceptions of women and girls in different cultures
- To devise ways to improve the living situations of refugee women and girls, and how they can be helped to help themselves.