World Refugee Day 2002: Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of
On 19 June, UNHCR presented a World Refugee Day message during a concert with Cesario Evora at the Skopje Jazz Festival.
UNHCR organised a World Refugee Day concert in Skopje on 20 June, with the voluntary participation of Esma (Roma singer), Superhicks (rock band), and Zet (jazz-rock group). More concerts took place in Strumica, Kumanovo, Bitola, Ohrid, and Tetovo.
A World Refugee Day event took place at Rosh Community Centre with a football tournament, cultural performances, and the exhibition of handicrafts made by refugees.
On 22 June, a workshop for female painters from various nationalities with the theme of refugee women was held in Skopje by the art association IKON and UNHCR.
The Children's Creativity Centre, in co-operation with UNHCR, hosted an art workshop for refugee children from 24 to 29 June.
Other events organised to promote the dialogue among the different nationalities included:
- a ballet training for children from various ethnic backgrounds in Skopje;
- multi-ethnic workshops for fine artists and exhibitions in various regions;
- a folk music concert with the participation of different nationalities in the country;
- a children's song festival "We Are Europe";
- dissemination of information on World Refugee Day on Radio Jazz FM.