2021 Regional Consultations with NGOs in Europe
In collaboration with the European Council on Refugees and Exiles (ECRE) and the International Council of Voluntary Agencies (ICVA), the UNHCR Regional Bureau for Europe is organising the 2021 Regional Consultations with NGOs.
Building on existing regular Regional Dialogues launched in July 2020, the September 2021 sessions of the Consultations will focus on joint efforts to enhance the inclusion of refugees, asylum-seekers and stateless persons in Europe through local actors and initiatives.
UPDATE: The final sessions of the 2021 Regional Consultations with NGOs in Europe have concluded. Thank you to all attendees and contributors. A public note summarizing the events can be found here.
2021 Regional Consultations
As outlined in the concept note, these Regional Consultations are built on three pillars:
Pillar I – Regular Regional Dialogues
On a need-basis and to follow-up on past exchanges, regular Regional Dialogues will be maintained in 2021.
List of Regional Dialogues in 2021:
Pillar II – Consultation on the proposed EU Pact
Pillar III – Final Consultations to feed into the 72nd session of the Executive Committee of the High Commissioner’s Programme
With the objective to feed into the 72nd session of the Executive Committee of the High Commissioner’s Programme (4-8 October 2021), NGOs and the UNHCR Regional Bureau for Europe intend to:
- Provide a safe space for dialogue and networking between UNHCR and NGOs on the selected topics of discussion, in which participants are able to share activities, results, challenges and lessons learned;
- Identify ways to concretely and jointly overcome obstacles and challenges related to the topics targeted by these consultations the European context;
- Identify key advocacy messages on the selected topics of discussion. Where possible, develop complementary advocacy strategy taking into account existing advocacy mechanisms;
- Map existing NGOs and NGO initiatives to enhance networking and synergies between UNHCR and NGOs, including at country-level.
- 21 SEPTEMBER 2021 – 9.00-9.15: Opening by the Director of the UNHCR Regional Bureau for Europe
- 21 SEPTEMBER 2021 - 9.15-12.30: Session 1: Enhancing inclusion in Europe through organisations led by forcibly displaced and stateless persons - Agenda - UNHCR Issue Brief - EU-level Report on the status of refugee-led community organisations
- 22 SEPTEMBER 2021 - 9.00-12.30: Session 2: Enhancing the access of forcibly displaced and stateless persons to social protection schemes in Europe through local actors and initiatives - Agenda - UNHCR Policy Brief
- 23 SEPTEMBER 2021 - 9.00-10.15: Side-event on funded partnerships between UNHCR and NGOs - Agenda
The 2021 Regional Consultations with NGOs will be held online due to COVID-19 restrictions.
These Consultations are open to NGOs based in Europe, with a regional, national, and/or more local geographical coverage. Organisations led by forcibly displaced and stateless persons are strongly encouraged to register. Interested parties may register using this online form.
For any query, please contact:
2020 Regional Dialogues with NGOs
Since July 2020, the UNHCR Regional Bureau for Europe, together with ECRE and ICVA, is committed to maintaining a regular dialogue between UNHCR and NGOs in Europe to:
- Ensure two-way information-sharing on the situation of forcibly displaced and stateless populations the region, including based on complementary monitoring;
- Identify opportunities for joint and complementary advocacy, including between Brussels and Geneva-based actors.
List of Regional Dialogues in 2020:
6 July 2020: High-level Dialogue between NGOs and the director of the UNHCR Regional Bureau for Europe
Available documents: Minutes
22 September 2020: Thematic Dialogue on the situation in Greece following the series of fires in Moria (Lesvos)
Available documents: none
8 December 2020: Dialogue on the situation in Greece, as well as on the upcoming 2021 Regional Consultations with NGOs
Available documents: Minutes