UNHCR’s workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. We seek to sustain and strengthen this diversity and to ensure equal opportunities, as well as an inclusive working environment, for our entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
We work with skilled professionals who are committed to put people first, make a real difference in people’s lives and are willing to go anywhere we are needed to get the job done. We need committed and passionate people who strongly believe in what they do and whose work ethic and motivation inspire others. We seek new talent and skills to respond to the needs of people forced to flee across the globe. Thus, we are looking for candidates who thrive in a diverse and multi-cultural work environment and are keen to bring new innovative ideas, skills and solutions to help build a better future for people forced to flee.
To learn more about career opportunities in UNHCR, please visit our global website
Associate Protection Officer
The vacancy is announced in the National Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the UNHCR Regional Office for Central Asia in Almaty, Kazakhstan, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment.
- Promote International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Foster their consistent and coherent interpretation and application through mainstreaming in all sectors and /or in clusters in applicable operations.
- Assist in providing comments on existing and draft legislation related to persons of concern.
- Provide legal advice and guidance on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Conduct eligibility and status determination for persons of concern in compliance with UNHCR procedural standards and international protection principles.
- Promote and contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy to ensure programmes use a child protection systems approach.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan.
- Implement and oversee Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities which integrate AGD sensitive procedures.
- Oversee and manage individual protection cases, including those on SGBV and child protection. Monitor, and intervene in cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents through working relations with governments and other partners.
- Recommend durable solutions for the largest possible number of persons of concern through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Assess resettlement needs and apply priorities for the resettlement of individuals and groups of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Participate in the organisation and implementation of participatory assessments and methodologies throughout the operations management cycle and promote AGD sensitive programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Contribute to and facilitate a programme of results-based advocacy through a consultative process with sectorial and/or cluster partners.
- Facilitate effective information management through the provision of disaggregated data on populations of concern and their problems.
- Promote and integrate community-based approaches to protection and contribute to capacity-building initiatives for communities and individuals to assert their rights.
- Support activities in the area of risk management related to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, fraud, case-processing, data protection, and human rights due diligence at country level.
- Participate in initiatives to capacitate national authorities, relevant institutions and NGOs to strengthen national protection related legislation and procedures.
- Intervene with authorities on protection issues.
- Negotiate locally on behalf of UNHCR.
- Decide priorities for reception, interviewing and counselling for groups or individuals.
- Enforce compliance of staff and implementing partners with global protection policies and standards of professional integrity in the delivery of protection services.
- Enforce compliance with, and integrity of, all protection standard operating procedures.
- Perform other related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree in Law, International Law, Political Sciences or other relevant field;
- Professional experience in the area of refugee protection, internal displacement, human rights or international humanitarian law. Good knowledge of International Refugee and Human Rights Law and ability to apply the relevant legal principles;
- Proficiency in English and in Russian;
- Excellent writing skills in English and Russian languages;
- Leadership and managerial experience;
- Proficiency in computer applications e.g. Windows, Microsoft Office, Internet, etc.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Diverse field experience including in working directly with communities;
- Database, spreadsheet and information management skills;
- Advance communication skills;
- Good interpersonal and diplomatic skills;
- Completion of the Protection Learning Programme, RSD- Resettlement Learning Programme.
An interview and written test will be held for this post. Applicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.
Closing date is 20 October, 18:00 the latest. Applications should be accompanied by duly completed UNHCR Personal History Form and supplementary sheet which must be sent to the e-mail address [email protected]
Subject line should precisely indicate: VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE POSITION OF ASSOCIATE PROTECTION OFFICER, UNHCR KAZAKHSTAN